Chapter 29

As we take the long twisting turns on the route to school, my phone rings.

"Hello?" I answer it.

"Emily."

"Amanda?" Why is she calling me?

"What are you doing?" She asks.

"I'm going to school." I say hesitantly. We go to the same school, she should know you have to be there by nine.

"Wait, you didn't hear?" Amanda seems shocked.

"What didn't I hear?"

"School's closed."

"What?" I gasp and turn to Eldon to see if he is listening.

"They found blood. A lot of blood. The police are claiming someone was murdered but it's still an open case. I think it's another link to Riley." Amanda gasps.

"Was there a-" I can't finish but luckily Amanda knows what I'm thinking.

"No. Nothing. No body. Just the same as always. That's what's making me think they're related."

"Are you going to tell the police?" I ask. The answer is simple and written all over but I still need to ask.

"What do I tell them? 'Officer, I've been tracking down this kidnapper, actually, it's not just a kidnapper, this person is murdering people too. And I have more evidence than you. Actually, I know who it is. A seventh grader.'" She is being highly sarcastic, "Yeah right. They'd probably throw me in a mental hospital." I think Eldon is listening because he flinches at the word 'mental.'

"I have to go Amanda." I rush to hang up.

"Wait. Have you figured out the letters yet?" She asks.

"What letters?"

"The alphabet? Richelle? You know, the one I gave you yesterday." That letter.

"Um, no. I haven't figured it out."

"Oh. Well hurry." Then Amanda hangs up.

I slowly pull the phone away from my ear then turn to Eldon.

"Did you hear that?" I ask, nervously.

"Every word." He says and I cringe, "We're turning around."

"Okay." My voice is faint.

Eldon didn't get to drive very far so it takes a matter of minutes to get back to my house.

"Thanks." I muffle.

"No problem." He squeezes my hand then I leave his car.

"Oh. Crap! I'm still wearing your jacket!" I say to Eldon through a closed window.

"Don't worry," He shouts from inside the car, "Keep it!" Then he drives away and I'm left stranded on my driveway.

The air has a bite to it and Eldon's brown leather jacket is as heavy as a basket of rocks. My hair is being blown around but my feet stay planted. Something rings in my backpack. I take it off to see what it is. My phone. I'm getting a call.

"Hello." I say with firmness as I thought it was going to be Amanda.

"Emily." The voice responds with the same rock hard sound.

"Richelle?" Now I'm puzzled.

"Come over here. Now."

"Wait! How did you get my number?" I hope she can hear me through the wind.

"Save your questions. Come over. I'll be waiting." Then Richelle hangs up.

I suddenly feel very cold so I dash up the front steps and into my house. Richelle's offer is unexpected but I have a lot to ask her. I pull off Eldon's coat and shove it into the back of the coat closet then I grab a bright red trench coat and wrap myself in it. My car is waiting for me in the garage so I run outside to the keypad and hurry into my vehicle.