Chapter 20

"What happened?"

"I don't know."

"Emily, we've played it your way for half an hour, we're switching sides. Answer the questions and you can leave as soon as possible."

I'm back in the hot seat. A bright light shines in my face and I'm in a room covered with grey. It feels like deja vu.

"I think I can keep playing it my way." I say ignorantly.

"EMILY!" The police man raises his voice. He stands up and hits the table with his hands. "You either become a witness or a suspect! Pick one." My eyes widen in shock. I haven't seen a police man lose his cool before. Maybe on TV but never in real life.

"Fine. Ask me your questions." I put the unamusment back on my face.

"In your own words, describe what happened."

"A lot happened. Be more specific." I am putting in the effort to make this as hard for the police as possible.

"Emily, we can lock you into a jail cell right now." It is definitely deja vu.

"I was walking to my locker and Richelle grabbed me."

He jots something down on a peice of paper.

"How do you know this girl?" He asks.

"I was friends with one of her friends." It's not a complete lie.

"Who was that friend?" He asks.

"Michelle." As soon as the name escapes my mouth, I wish I can take it back.

"Were you and Richelle close?"

"As close as we can be."

He leans over the desk and says, "That's not a valid answer."

"I'm answering questions, aren't I." I debate. He reclines and asks me a new question.

"Describe what Richelle looked like when she first came up to you." It's more of a command than a question, either way, I can't answer it honestly.

"My back was turned to her when she walked up."

"But she turned you around."

"Yes."

"How did she appear to be when you saw her?" He asks again.

"Er...she seemed tired." I try.

"Is that all?"

"Yes." That is probably the biggest lie anyone can make. If you've seen Richelle, you will know it's not even close to the truth. The officer doesn't say anything, he just raises an eyebrow and writes somethng on his page again.

"Is that all?" I ask again, this time, with a little more edge.

"No. We want to know what your relationship with Amanda is like."

"We?" I ask.

""We" as in the people that are working on this case. What is it like between you and Amanda?"

"Um, well, I don't know much about her." I stutter.

"But she pulled Richelle off of you."

"Yes, and a total stranger will do the same. Is this a valid question?" I am beginning to get defensive.

"It is. I will ask you one last time. What is the relationship like between you and Amanda."

"She was my sister's best friend-"

"Which sister?"

"I only have one that I'm aware of."

"What do you mean by 'was'?"

"I mean I haven't seen them together for a while."

"Why not?"

"I don't know! That's the truth! I. Don't. Know. I don't have all the answers. If you want to know about Amanda why don't you go ask her?" I scream. My temper is running low.

The officer gestures me to sit down, I remain standing. He writes something on the paper again then he says, "You may go now, Emily."

I limp over out the door and slam it as hard as I can but the springs don't allow it to fall very quickly.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. I pull it out.

I got bored. Remember, we aren't playing your game, we're playing mine.

Along with that, there is a photo attached. I open it up. It's a photo of Richelle and another boy. He seems about her age and it's obvious that they aren't strangers to each other.

The boy is holding Richelle by the waist. They are leaned in close to each other and this boy has his lips on Richelle's.

I recieve another text.

That is Noah. Richelle's boyfriend, or should I say late boyfriend.