Chapter 3

"Please state your name."

"Emily." I say firmly. All expression is washed from my face.

"Your full name."

"Does this really help?" I question. The fire within me is starting and I can't hold it back.

"Sit down, please. Emily." The police officer that is questioning me says in a mocking tone. He gestures to my seat. I don't even realize I stood up to begin with. Hesitantly, I sit down.

The windowless room I'm in is dressed in grey, from floor to ceiling and everything in between. One row of dim flourescent lights hang on in the middle of the ceiling. The grey immovable table I'm sitting behind is cold - and not to mention, metal. A bright lamp is adjusted so it will shine directly in my face, It's not very intimidating, if anything, annoying.

"What is the point of this? I have nothing to do with it! I swear. I only grabbed the car because," I haven't thought about how I want to answer this question "I-I broke down okay. Don't you believe me?"

"Yes, we understand. Now, I asked a few students and they said a name was said through the PA system?" The officer says it as if it were a statement.

"Yes." I answer. My fire is dying down.

"Can you identify the voice?"

"It was my sister."

"How do you know?"

"I've lived with her for fifteen years, I think I should know."

"Miss Emily, your stinginess doesn't help anyone"

I take an unnecessarily long breath and breathe out as if I have been underwater for five minutes.

"How close are you with your sister?" The officer continues.

"I didn't come to the police station just so you can ask me a bunch of personal and unanswerable questions." I pout.

"Answer the question. We have the right to arrest you."

"What did I do?" I criticize.

"This is your last chance. I will put you in a cell over night if you can't cooperate."

"Fine." I grumble and sit back into my chair. The bright light isn't helping my already growing headache.

"Do you and your sister get along?" The police officer says every word slowly and ignorantly.

"Yes."

"Is that so?"

"Are you calling me a liar?" I sit up in my chair and place both my hands flat on the table with as much force as possible.

The police officer doesn't even look at me, he just asks a follow up question.

"I have a witness that says you hate school dances."

"Your witness isn't wrong."

"This person also told me that your sister brings you to every one of them."

"That is also true."

"I see."

"What are you accusing me of?" I've almost had enough.

He ignores me.

"When did you last see Riley?"

This is actually a question I'm willing to answer. I remembered turning on my phone.

"Around 8:13."

"Did your sister and you have a conversation? What did you say?"

They aren't accusing me. I realize that they are trying to get dirt on Daniel. I'm not what they're looking for.