Chapter 34

After about half an hour of just me talking, my mouth feels even drier than ever.

"Wow." Eldon says after I told him every detail of the entire story.

"I know." I breathe.

"Why didn't you tell me this?"

"I didn't want to get you involved."

"I would have helped you, I can still help you."

"Don't."

"Why not."

"It's not safe for you."

"Ugh." I sigh in defeat.

I stare at the road ahead of me as it becomes vaguely fimiliar. We're on the road that leads back down from Eldon's cliff.

"And you think the killer is Amanda." The way he says it makes it sound more of a statement than a question.

"Yes." I barely mouth the word.

"And I killed a person because I took you with me when I hit you with the car?" Eldon's voice is remorseful.

"Yeah." I don't know what else to say.

"How many are dead?"

"Six." I whimper. This drive seems to be taking forever, "Can we talk about something else?"

"Like what?" He questions my request but I can tell he doesn't want to talk about murder as much as I do.

"I don't know, I don't care. Tell me about yourself." I lean back in my seat and close my eyes, hoping this will be more relaxing than what's happening with Amanda.

"Why don't you guess." That's not what I was expecting.

"Why?" I ask with my eyes still closed.

"Because I like to remain a mystery." That makes my eyes open.

I gaze into his eyes. They are perfect. I can see he doesn't want to tell me about himself and I can't say no to those eyes.

"Fine." I say, breaking the stare, "What do you want to talk about?"

He thinks for half a second then looks at me.

"Tell me about you." He smiles the same mysterious grin I've seen him wear every single day.

"Well, I like to read." I announce.

"What do you read?" We are on a straight road now which is fortunate because Eldon's eye never venture from me.

"Anything." I look into his eyes.

"Why?"

I try to think about how I want to answer but the words flow out of me before I can get a chance to.

"If you haven't noticed, my life isn't a reality show. It's twisted and crazy and messed up in the boringest way. I get so tired of not having friends that will always be there for me," I almost say boyfriend but something in me makes me stop, "or parents that know every detail of my life. books are my escape. The world is a game and sometimes, I get tired of playing."

Eldon doesn't respond, he just looks at me. Doesn't blink, doesn't smile or nod. Nothing. I start to feel self-conscious so I try to turn around but he reaches out his hand and turns my head to face him again.

"I didn't mean to-" I fumble with my words.

"No," He's smiling now, "I liked what you said."

I smile back.

"Why won't you tell me about you?" I ask quietly.

"I don't remember."

"What?"

"I try to forget my old self and it's hard to forget when others remember."

I nod, trying to make sense of what he said.

"So, I'll never know?"

"All you need to know is who I am now. Not who I was or who I'm going to be." His voice is soft and heavenly.

"Then tell me about who you are now?"

He smiles at me. This time, it's more of a flattering smile that makes my insides melt.

"I think I'm in love." He says in a flirty and velvety voice.

"With who?" I ask. I feel like I'm soaring through the clouds.

"With you." He closes in on the space between us. I close my eyes. His lips are close to mine. Very close. I can feel his breath on me. The car is still moving but I can't feel anything but him.

Suddenly, my phone rings. Just like in the movies where the long lost lovers are about to kiss and the girl's boyfriend calls her and proposes.

Eldon leans back in his seat and focuses on the road again while I pull out my phone angrily to see who ruined my - almost - kiss.

It's a text.

I thought we made this clear, Eldon is mine. I know you told him the story but you can't tell him about this. It will be a big mistake if you do.

I stare at it. I forgot to mention all the texts that had said Eldon belonged to this person - Amanda. When did she develop a crush on Eldon? But I can't tell him. Six people are dead, I believe I'm reaching the end of the death list, I may be next, or worse, Riley.

"Who's that?" Eldon asks as if the - almost - kiss never happened.

"My mom, she's wondering where I am." I lie.

"I'll get you home in twenty minutes." He says.

"Okay." I say then pretend to text something back.

I feel so guilty lying to Eldon.