Chapter 30

"Amanda?" I finally grab the strength to speak.

"Yeah." Richelle nods then turns to write something on her notepad. Or at least, I think she is. It's most likely an excuse to avoid eye contact.

"Why Amanda?" I stutter. This whole time, I've been working with the murderer.

Richelle drops her pen then looks at me, dead in the eye.

"She has a motive, opportunity and how much do you know about her?" Richelle screams.

I wait a minute then realize she wants me to answer her question.

"Not much." I mutter.

"Exactly!" Richelle jumps out of her seat, pushing the chair back into something that seems fragile.

"What do you know?" I ask her.

"About as much as you do but that's enough for me." Richelle's eyes dart around the room before meeting mine again, "She's blaming me for everything, you've seen her talking to unidentified people, she knows something about Michelle that the world doesn't and about Riley's journal. She's got everything she needs! You as her game, the journal as her motive and me as an alibi."

"And all she needs is the time to kill people and an area to do it in." I snort, "She's a sophmore, she can't drive for crying out loud and I don't think you can go on a bus with a butcher knife and a loaded gun." I refuse to believe it's Amanda.

"Who said this was a one person game? Maybe she has help." Richelle calms herself then walks around the table to meet me on my side.

"Like who?" I ask.

"If I knew, I would tell you." Richelle looks down at her feet.

By now, Richelle has me hooked. All this time, the murderer has been under my nose. What a creative place to hide. I need to talk to Amanda.

"I should go." I stand up then walk out of the tight office.

"Emily." Richelle walks behind me.

"Yeah." I turn around.

"How did everybody die?" Richelle asks so casually I wouldn't think much of it, except I do.

"What do you mean?" I walk towards her.

"You said every time you messed up, someone died. I caught that you blamed Michelle and went with Eldon, then you didn't crash into Eldon, but that's only three. There should be six. How did the others die?" Richelle seems helpless now. All she wanted were her friends, now she has nothing. I want to give her a hug but I think otherwise.

"I don't know." I choke out, "This person - Amanda" My voice crumbles at her name, "She killed Gabi in front of Becca which-" Richelle nods as tears start leaking out of her eyes, "I think you know, then I got a text saying that she got bored and killed Noah just for fun." Richelle grips onto the hand rails on the stairs, "and I didn't do anything to Josh." I force myself to say his name, "I'm so sorry." I whimper. Richelle is in a heap on the floor. I can hear her helpless cries of agony.

"Why." She keeps whimpering between sobs, "Why. Why. Why."

I look around. No one is home. I can't leave Richelle like this.

"Richelle." I crouch down beside her, "This is horrible, to say the least, but it will turn around. We know who it is, maybe we can stop Amanda." I try my hardest but my pep talk doesn't do anything but make her cry even more.

"I'm. So-sor-sorry." Richelle says between her uncontrolable sobs, "I. Can-t. Hel-p. You-ou. For-gi-ve. Me-e." She lifts her head to look at me. The hair around her face is soaking wet and stuck to her face. Richelle's face is redder than a fire truck. Her tears streak down her face then off her neck.

"Yes." I whisper then hug Richelle. I take back everything I've ever said about Richelle being crazy. She's not insane, she's in pain. No one has been able to help her. Now she has nothing left but tears that will consume her until she is really, and completely, nothing. She lays her head on my shoulder and I feel my shirt getting drenched with water; but I don't care. The least I can do is stay and try to comfort her. That's the least I can do. I have to do more.

"Richelle." I gentily remove her off of me.

"I have nothing left." Her sobs have calmed down a bit but only enough for her to get a complete word out without having to stutter.

I feel her pain.

"You have me." I say then she collapses into my arms again. This time, she cries harder. My eyes start to get watery too. I still have a lot. I have Eldon and Chloe. I have a sister that is still alive. Richelle has nothing. I am all she has left. And I can't go.