Chapter 37

This is all too confusing. My brain isn't comprehending anything correctly. Riley can't be a creepy puppet master. Amanda can't be a murderer. Richelle's friends can't be dead. And Eldon can't be in love with me. But alas, it's all to true.

My window is completely dark. The only light outside is the from the street lamps that project shadows of flurries that will melt by the break of dawn. My floor is scattered with junk that is giving me a headache but my bed is properly made and seems very soothing. Can't I just fall asleep for a while and wake up when I'm ready? That's not how life works though. You have to wake up no matter what and it's your job to make your life into a dream.
I sigh and crawl into bed. Morning will come and I want to have as much time as I can to sleep.

Before I know it, my room is overflowing in light and I open my eyes to look at reality.

"Ugh." I groan and throw the blankets over my head.

My efforts to fall back to sleep fail. Someone knocks on my door.

"Emily?" It sounds like my mom.

"What?" My voice is most likely muffled by the blanket.

"You have company."

I sit up straight. I haven't looked at the clock yet but I'm assuming it's somewhere around eight in the morning. Who needs to come over at this time? Why not just call me?

"Who is it?"

"That boy you brought home yesterday. What did you say his name was? Eric? Edward?"

I cringe.

"Eldon." I groan then hop out of bed, "Tell him, ten minutes."

"Got it." My mom says then I hear her footsteps walking down the stairs.

I grab a pair of leggings and a sweater then head into my bathroom. As quickly as possible, I brush my teeth and wash my face. Then I take off my pyjamas and throw on the outfit I've chosen for the day. I rush down the stairs - almost trippong over my own feet - and stumble into the kitchen to find Eldon having breakfast with my parents.

"Hi." I wave awkwardly.

No matter how embarrasing it is, I've never brought a guy home before and I think I'm right to assume my parents don't know what to do.

"Hey Emily." Eldon stands up. He seems eager to eave the table.

"Let's go." I try to whisper only to him so my parents won't have to hear.

"Don't you want breakfast, Em?" My dad asks as he puts down his laptop case to pick up a waffle.

"No." I shake my head rapidly then take Eldon by the arm and tow him out of my house before my parents can say another word.

I open the front door and rush outside.

"What was that about?" Eldon asks once I loosen my grip of him.

"I'm sorry. My parents are new to the whole boy-" I almost say boyfriend, "coming over thing." I hope he didn't catch my slip up.
"They seem quite nice." Eldon remarks.
We walk over to his car.

"Why did you need me this early? What did Amanda say?"

"She won't open up to me," Eldon shrugs as he starts his car, "but I know she knows something. I knocked on her bedroom door. Once she found out it was me, she was shooing me out of her room and begging me to take a walk with her."

I just found more proof.

"Did she say anything at all?" I try not to let the fact that Amanda got Eldon to take her for a walk bug me.