Chapter 27

The day has gone by pretty quick. My mind has been off the entire time though. I don't think I passed my geograghy test.

As I walk out of the school, someone runs up to my side.

"Hey, Em." I recognize the voice; Eldon.

"Hey." I mutter a respnse.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Nothing." I pick up my pace.

"Wa-wa-wait." Eldon runs up in front of me.

"What are you doing?" I ask him. Eldon's attempts to stop me have worked.

"Where are you going in such a hurry?"

"Why do you care?"

"I want to come with you."

"I'm going to Richelle's."

"Great. I'll drive." Eldon starts towards his car.

"What?" I stand there in a muddle, "You're just going to come with me?"

"Yeah, why not?" He shouts to me from across the parking lot.

"Okay then." I say sarcastically then slowly walk towards his car.

The image of Gabi and Becca are still tattooed in the back of my brain. They are dead because of me. I killed them because I chose to keep Eldon alive. The guilt is driving me insane. If I can live through all this, maybe I'll be sleeping in a mental instatution for the rest of my life. Or in a prison cell. Either one will be better than this.

"Do you know where she lives?" I ask my driver once my seat belt is fastened.

"Nope. You're going to have to tell me." He says as we pull out of the student infested parking lot.

"Can I ask you something?" I can't look Eldon in the eyes.

"Sure." His eyes are on the road so there isn't any need to glance up at him.

"Why are you coming with me after I tried to kill you?" I ask. The answer is going to tear me apart but I can't help myself.

"Why are you here with me when I nearly killed you?"

"That's different."

"How so?"

"Yours was an accident."

"And yours wasn't?

"It wasn't."

"Neither was mine."

"Wait. What?" I say, shocked, "You tried to kill me?"

"Do you believe me?"

"Um. I don't know what to believe."

"Good answer. Just know, that there is always more than just a motive. More than just the actions and greed and-"

"Murder." I can tell what he's implying, "You don't have to stick up for Richelle."

"Richelle?" He seems befuddled.

"Oh. I should really learn to shut up." I don't want to get Eldon involved. but in a way he already is. This person asked me to kill him.

"No. Tell me." He says.

"Okay." Before I start, I add in the directions to Richelle's house, "Make a left here then turn right on the fourth intersection. Her house is big and grey. You can't miss it." Then I continue, "I'm looking for Riley's kidnapper but it looks like the person is doing more than just taking kids. This person is killing people. Every time I mess up, someone is gets murdered. Like Richelle's friends at dance. I think they're - and if not all then almost all - dead! And Michelle. I messed up and got her killed! Now, I'm trying to find out who it is and this morning Amanda showed me something and I need to know if it's real or not. I think Richelle is the one behind this." I leave out all the details of the threatening texts.