Chapter 42

"So..." I try to start a conversation.

The road we are driving on is dark and narrow. There are some cars that drive with us for half a kilometer then turn onto a larger street. We keep driving on the same straight road. It doesn't turn at all.

"Yes." Eldon smiles, not taking his eyes off the dimly lit road.

"Why the Ride & Roll?" I ask trying not to be offensive.

"The answer will be clear once we get there." Eldon sighs.

"Huh." I say mostly to myself then watch the llong stretch of road ahead of me.

"So, you looking foward to tonight?"

"Very much." I stare straight ahead.

After ten more minutes if silence, I completely lose it.

"I've spent the entire day in silence while my brain knawed at me trying to figure out your anagram. Please say something. Anything. I don't really- wait a minute. You're doing this on purpose aren't you? Ugh! I knew it. You've never had problems starting conversations have you? I feel so stupid. You know it doesn't have to be this awkward. Feel free to stop me whenever you want..." My voice trails off after I realize how much I'm babbling.

"Don't worry." Eldon laughs.

"Please say something." I beg.

"Are you sure? This might not be the kind of first date you wanted." Eldon teases.

"I take that back. I want to talk to you." I look at him. The darkness draws an outline on him, his hair glimmers and his eyes sparkly. The rest of his face glows in the headlights of the car that is driving behind us. I am able to look at him forever.

"What do you want me to say?"

"Tell me something I don't know."

"The only two metals that are not silver coloured are gold and copper." Eldon says with a teasing smile.

"I knew that." I copy his smirk.

"Oh yeah?" Eldon challenges.

"Yeah. The electron figuration for gold is (Xe) 4f14 5d10 6s1."

"Is this how you prepare for a date or do you just do this for fun?"

"I can also tell you the one for copper."

"Go ahead." Eldon dares.

"Why don't you tell me?"

"Are you backing out?"

"No."

"I'm calling your bluff." Eldon is right.

"This isn't poker." I say, trying to keep my cover.

"But if it were, would I be correct?"

"Yes." I admit.

"(Ar) 3d10 4s1." Eldon says.

"Pardon?"

"Your not the only one that took advanced chemistry."

I roll my eyes and laugh.

I see the road becoming a bit brighter. There is a parking lot. Eldon pulls into it and parks right at the front of the building the parking lot is built for.

"We're here." Eldon annonces as he takes off his seatbelt.

"Okay." I say and start to unbuckle mine as well.

I walk out into the cold air that feels much cooler than usual. Probably because it's so empty out here. The small resturant that Eldon has taken me to looks like a diner from the late sixties or early seventies. It's worn down so the colours of it are all a pastel - pastel blues and pinks and greens. One part of the roof is jutting out higher than the other half and the rim of it has a thin layer of rust. It looks like one of those old movies where people have people on roller skates serving you milkshakes. There is a sign on it that says open although it is flickering giving it a very sketchy feel. I don't know if it's the resturant or fall night that is making me shiver.