Dempsey smiles, "Honestly, I just didn't want to spend it all in one place. I want to spread it out into next year as well, maybe pay for everyone's trip to the aquarium again like I did this year."

  Mrs. Parks shakes her head, "No. That won't do." Dempsey raises a brow, opening her mouth to speak but being halted. "Since you're not using it we're going to put it towards a professional development day this summer for all the teachers."

  Dempsey's hands fly in the air, waving in front of her. "Wait, wait, wait. No, that's not how this works!" she exclaims. 

  "It's exactly how it works. You haven't used it, and the school needs it. Simple as that, Miss Abrams. I just wanted to be courteous and give you a heads up. You're free to go," she tells her, turning back to her computer. 

  The young teacher sees red, struggling between anger and confusion. If there's anything she's learned over the last few months it's that she hates confrontation, and yet she is smack in the middle of a moment that could change her entire career. 

  "Does the person who donated know that you're changing the rules mid game?" she asks with a hint of confidence amidst her frustration.

  "Doesn't matter. I have final say. Have a good afternoon, Miss Abrams. Maybe try and stay healthy so you can finish out the year with the kids," she tsks, waving her hand towards the door. 

  She gets up with a huff, her anger evident but the old principal chooses to ignore it with an air of distaste for the employee. Dempsey swings the door open, letting it crash against the wall behind it, not shutting it behind her. 

  Her feet move on their own accord, pushing her back down to her classroom where she can attempt to process what exactly just happened. Why wouldn't the principal be glad that she's spreading the funds further than just one class, planning to use it to help next years group have the same enjoyable events that the students this year enjoyed. 

Dempsey POV

I ignore the yelling coming from Sawyer, trying to get my attention, as my feet pick up their pace until I'm practically running down the hallway. Shoving my classroom door open I close it back quickly, leaning against it as my resolve falls away, beginning to sob. 

 I had plans to stretch those funds for as long as I could, wanting more students to get the benefit out of it than just my twenty something this year. 

  My tears stop for a moment at the sound of a knock on my door. "Come on, Demi. Open up!" Sawyer calls from the other side.

  "Can't," I yell back. "I've got a phone conference. We'll talk later, okay?" I lie. 

  "Call me. We can grab food," she offers before walking away.

 I slink away from the door, my shoulders heavy over the fact that I couldn't stand up better for myself. I've let myself down, but mostly I'm angry that I've let my future students down. 

  Sitting down, back behind the day's writing papers I just stare at them, willing them to grade themselves because at this point I'm so saddened for my kids that I'd probably just slap a hundred on each one out of guilt. Instead, I hang my head in my hands, closing my eyes and let myself cry over the disappointment. 

  I realize too late that I should've locked my classroom door as it swings open, making my head jerk up. "Sorry," Chris says from the doorway. "Ethan forgot his lunchbox." 

  "Cubby number six," I tell him, returning my  head to my hands. I hear his steps walk across the room before they stop altogether. "What do you want, Chris?"

  "Why are you crying, Miss Abrams?" he asks, taking a few steps towards my table, the linoleum squeaking under his tennis shoes. 

  I lift my face, dabbing at my tear stained cheeks. "Where's Ethan?"

  "In the car with Dodge," another step closer. "Why are you crying, Dempsey?"

  I shove my chair back, the wheels rolling easily against the floor. My arms crossed against my chest, "Just got some bad news is all."

  "Your mom?" he asks me. I shake my head no, sniffling. "Conor?" Another shake. "Jack?" 

  "No, okay! All the people in my life are fine, Chris." I stand up, shoving the chair back under the table harshly. "Everyone is doing just fine, except for me. But, what else is new? That's kind of how things have been since I met you."

  He's taken aback, as am I. "I'm sorry, that was low," I hold my hand out in front of me, doing my best to excuse my behavior.

  "What's going on, really?" Even after my harsh words he still pursues my answer.

  I start tossing stuff into my work bag, not paying a whole lot of attention to what I'm grabbing. "I just, uh, just found out that the three grand I still have from that dumb fundraiser is going towards a school professional development day this summer."

  "What?" he asks, seemingly unsure as to whether he heard me right or not. "I thought Carly said it was 50/50?"

  "That was the impression we were all given, but according to Mrs. Parks she can change the rules whenever she pleases. Apparently now is the time," I shrug my shoulders while zipping up my bag. I finally look at him, seeing his jaw tense and a fire in his eyes. 

  I've seen that fire before when he became protective over me concerning Tara back at Thanksgiving. I've missed it.

  "Anyways, it's her school and therefore her funds I guess. I'm gonna go home and see if there's any postings for other schools in the area. I'm not sure I want to come back next year." I snatch up my bag, flinging it over my shoulder before walking out of the door. Chris follows quickly behind me, pausing as I lock up. 

  "You're sure she's taking it from you?" he asks.

  "Yep. Got called into her office just a bit ago to be given the news. It is what it is." I storm off towards the parking lot, uncaring about actually signing out for the day. 

  Just before reaching my car I turn around, seeing Chris heading towards his own car. "Oh, uh I guess Ethan figured us out. He's been mopey today, maybe treat him to some ice cream or something." I don't wait for a response, jumping in my car and leaving in a hurry before I begin crying all over again. 

  *Unedited...sorry.