FORTY-TWO

Chapter Forty-Two| Destiny

"Dad, what the hell?" I spoke in shock. 

"Destiny, let me just talk to you, for a second," he pleaded. "I just want to talk with my daughter."

"You lost that luxury a long time ago." 

How is he even here right now? forget the fact that it is the middle of the night, in the parking lot of a 7-eleven, but the fact that we are in Cincinnati, right now. This entire night just doesn't make any sense right now. He stands in front of me, at least what I could see of him over Trevor's shoulder. Bags under his eyes, the entire body was jittery and shaking. Looks like he hasn't had a good night's sleep in a long time. 

"I know...I know, look I didn't mean to scare you." Placing a hand on the back of his neck, "I want to apologize..." APOLOGIZE, that word honestly coming from him it means nothing to me anymore. 

He stood there quiet, I think waiting for a reaction from me. I don't know what he wanted me to do, to start balling out crying, to scream at him. I don't know, but before I could decide, Trevor spoke for me. 

"Listen, man, I honestly think you should just go home. She doesn't need this from you right now." He was right about that, the last two months have been a dream. But, we all have to wake up from the dream at some point. 

"Des, Des, please, I know I wasn't the best dad, I know. But, I just can't go on like this forever. Please forgive me, I've been doing better. Going to alcoholic therapy, going to church, and praying my mistakes away. But, none of that matters without your forgiveness."

You forgive, but you can never forget. But, to be honest with you, I don't even think I can forgive. 

Bowing my head and clearing my throat, "Even after we moved out, I never had any ill feelings towards you. Every Christmas and fathers day, I wrote to you..."

"I remember those letters," he perked up.

"Even after everything you did to my mother, the shit you put her through. Even after what you did to me." My eyes began to water, "Just because I wanted my father to love me and I didn't understand why he did what he did. But, as I grew up I realized that I didn't need your praise."

Sniffling my nose, holding back as many tears as I can, "I don't need your fatherly advice or any other shit you want to bring into my life. And I also don't need to accept your apology." His expression drops, "I've finally found happiness after everything and personally I'd rather let you suffer than ever accept any apology from you."

"Let's go home, Trev," I whispered to him. Turning around from his back to the passenger door of the car. The door was already unlocked, so I just let myself in. Thinking Trevor walked over to his side of the car, but he was right behind me, shielding me from my father and closing the door behind me. 

Thank god, for these tinted windows, cause I don't need him to see me right now. 

As soon as Trevor was quick to start the car and drive away. The entire ride home was silent, just the sounds of me sniffling and the low volume of the radio playing. He kept his hand on my thigh, letting me know that he was there.

Once we made it home, I quickly changed out of my clothes, wiped my makeup off, and headed into bed. Trevor came to bed a few minutes after me, and as soon as he wrapped his arms around me. My head rested on his chest.

 I completely break down.  

...

Trevor

I feel for her as she cries in my arms, comforting her as much as I can. "I tried to be strong, Trev, I really did."

"Listen to me baby, you were strong, you didn't let him win baby. You won and did what was best for you."

"I know," she spoke. "I don't know why I'm even crying right now." She chuckled, lifting the duvet higher over her shoulder. 

"Sometimes, it's okay to just let it out, after he completely ambushed you, it's okay to have your moment."  

"You're right, thank you for letting me cry on your chest."

"Anytime, baby, you know I'm always here for you," placing a kiss on her forehead. I watch as her eyelids become heavy, "Go to sleep baby, you've had a long night." She hums, completely closing her eyelids, and relaxing her body on top of mine. 

When she finally falls asleep I grab my phone, and dialing a number, "Yeah, man, I need you to do me a favor..."

...

Only two more chapters left, I feel so attached to this story I don't want to let it go.