THREE

Chapter Three| Destiny

"Are you fucking serious right now, Brandon?" I yell down my phone.

"I'm sorry something came up, my professor is on my ass to get this grade up."

"But, you said you were coming. This entire week, I gave you the opportunity to say you weren't going. But, you kept stressing that you were, now you are just going to leave me out to dry last minute."

I stuff some more clothes into my overnight bag.

"I'm sorry, I'll make it up to you, sweetness."

"You've been saying that a lot lately, instead of actually doing it," I huff.

I'm just so sick of his excuses, he just pisses me off sometimes. 

He stays silent on the phone. 

"I'm sorry, sweetness."

How many times is he going to keep saying it? 

"Mhm, look I'll talk to you later."

I quickly hang up the phone. 

Now, I have two plane tickets, and no one to go with. This isn't the first time, Brandon has flaked on me. Always finding something else important to do last minute, before actually spending time doing things I like to do. Or just being with my family in general. 

I don't want to show up alone, because then I'll have to hear Trevor and Tyler's mouth about how much they hate Brandon. And then, my mother and Diana talk about how I don't need him, and then they will give me the independent woman speech. 

I worked for me when I was younger, kind of sick of hearing it now. 

As I continue packing my bag, I hear Jayda walk into the apartment. 

VICTIM #1

Why didn't I think of her before? Now, with her there I could distract them, so they don't attack me with questions about Brandon not being there. 

I quickly open my door, she has her AirPods in so she can't hear me walk in the kitchen. She closes the refrigerator door, turns around, and jumps when she sees me. 

"Why are you just standing there like a creep?"

I shrug my shoulders, "How was class?"

"Boring, per usual," she takes a sip of water from the bottle in her hand. "You all packed and ready to leave?"

"Not really," I speak and she tilts her head in confusion. "I'm kind of missing the person, I should be going with."

She shakes her head, "He baled again, didn't he?"

I pout and shake my head. 

"Okay, I'll go and pack my bag." she screws the cap back onto her water bottle. "Your family probably thinks we're lesbian lovers, the way I keep getting invited to these things."

I giggle. I walk with her, going into her room. "So what was his excuse now?" she asked from her closet.

"Professor wants him to bring his grades up, has to go to weekend classes."

She hums, "Well, look on the bright side, at least I get to go to my first NFL game for free."

"That's on your bright side, what about mine?"

"Yeah, we'll have to circle back to that, after the trip."

"Shut up and pack, the flight is at 8 am and we need to be early."