THIRTY-EIGHT

Chapter Thirty-Eight| Destiny

"This would look so cute on you," Jayda said. 

Jayda and I are currently shopping, she just came in yesterday for two weeks. She claims to be treating me to a much-needed shopping spree. But, I think she just feels bad for encouraging me to go out with Carter, after all that happened. I don't know why she feels so bad, I constantly remind her that I'm okay. Trevor left for his training camp two days ago, he won't be back until the end of next week. So he and Jayda won't be crossing paths. 

He and I have been in touch. Late night calls, check-in texts, and constant gifts addressed to me. I think everyone in the house can tell were in a better place, but no one has yet to comment on our situation. 

Well, until now, "I know relationships are probably the last thing you want to talk about. You have to keep me in the loop about what's going on with you and Trevor. I am a very nosy being," Jayda spoke, skimming through clothes. 

Playfully rolling my eyes, "Yes, I know. Trevor and I are... shit ion even know for real. He's taking care of me, I'm taking care of him." 

She scrunches up her nose, "Taking care like in the bedroom?"

"Uhh, no not like that."

Shaking my fucking head, well we haven't done anything sexually since that one night in my bedroom. Personally, I want to, but I think he's cautious after everything that happened. Like the night before he left, we were on his bed. He kissed down my neck, and I moan at the physical action. Moving my hands to his chest, pushing them down to his crotch. He senses the tensions. Gently grabbing my hand and moving it back up his chest. 

And from there, I didn't try to go any farther, never brought up why he did that. This reminds me that I need to work on expressing my feelings more. 

I spoke up again, "I don't know and to be honest, I'm fine with not putting labels on us. Well, for right now I am."

...

Sitting back against my bedframe, just chilling watching my favorite creator on youtube, Only Bells. Her videos make me want to be productive, even though I'm sitting here in sweats and eating out of a pint of Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter ice cream. My phone lights up, a New York number calls me. Who would be calling me from NY?

I spring up from my bed, gaining a hint of who might be calling me. "Hello," I answered unsurely. 

"Good evening, this is Sarah from the New York Times, Am I speaking with Destiny Thompson?"

My eyes widen, dropping the cold spoon into the half-empty pint of ice cream. "Yes, this is she," I choke out. 

"Hello, I was calling to follow up on your application to be a freelance journalist with us here at The Times."

Rapidly blinking at her words, I wasn't expecting their call at all, I applied to that company before graduation. But, after I didn't hear anything back I assumed that the position was given to someone else. I have a smaller internship lined up from the fall, but if this company is offering me a position where I'm getting paid at. I'm sorry I'm gonna take it. 

She continues on the phone, "Our position is still open if you are interested, we have many benefits from it. As a freelancer, you won't have to technically be in New York, year-round, only for a couple of times of the year. Our starting salary is 67k for your first year, if you choose to stick around with our company and build your career, the salary will raise over time." 

Bitch, I'm getting to the money.

"If you choose to start your career with us, we would love for you to start this fall, specifically late September."

"That'll be perfect, I'd love to take the position." 

"Amazing, we can't wait for you to join our team at The Times." 

After a little while longer on the phone, she confirms my personal info to get in contact with me. Then, I end the call and do my happy dance around my room. Jayda hears my loud stomping from downstairs when she comes upstairs to check on me. I tell her about the position I just received. And we continue to jump around the room together. 

Then, my phone rings again, and Trevor calls me. Jayda notices the caller's I.D. and gives me some privacy. "Hello."

"Hey baby," his raspy, dark tone spoke through the phone. "How are you?"

"I'm really, really good. I have good news," I said excitedly.

"Care to share with me."

"I just got offered this big position with the New York Times as a freelancer." I rapidly going on, "I don't technically have to live in the city, but I think I'm going to do it. just to have scenery in life." 

"Wow, I'm so proud of you Nini, you'll do amazing in New York. Plus, long distance isn't something we can't handle." 

Oh shit, is it bad that I didn't even think about the future of our relationship before taking the position? But, like he said long distance is nothing new for us. I know it would be much easier to live with him and go to the city a few times a year. But I think it is important for me to have my own things and my own life.

"Thank you for being so supportive," I spoke. 

"I wouldn't have it any other way, you should be extremely proud of your accomplishments." 

...

<3