TWENTY-SIX

Chapter Twenty-Six| Trevor

'WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY', the crowd cheers. 

"You ready, my boy," Chris nudged me, as we watched out into the crowd of Bengals and Denver Broncos fans. Our fans are much louder, I'm just beyond zoned out—my first super bowl.

Turning my head towards him, "As ready as I can be."

My nerves are through the roof, and my family is here. Well, most, My parents, Lily, Tyler, Marcus, and Nick, of course, had to tag along. 

But, my brain can only think of one person. 

Destiny.

Even with all of these people here to support me, my mind still seems to go back to her. The thought of our conversation replays in my head over and over again. 

I fucked up, I should've been there when she needed me. No matter what, I didn't. I miss her, her smile, her laughter. I wish she could be here for this moment. We, sharing this moment because it's her birthday. 

'WELCOME TO SUPER BOWL 56,' the announcer spoke, as the crowd cheered. They announce both teams, nerves and adrenaline rush through my body while running onto the field. 

I look around as the fans cheer, soaking it all in. Tonight it can go either way, both of our teams have both strong defense and offense. I'm just praying that our boys pull through. 

...

Destiny

42-36, The Broncos lead.  

I don't know what is going on at that game, but everyone can see that Trev's head is indeed not in the game. 

The camera pans to him watching the game on the sidelines, coaches near him talking to him. His honesty looks stressed out. But, it's only two minutes left in the second quarter. So hopefully they come back stronger in the next half. 

Even though the game is at the Miami Dolphins arena, the Bengals fans surely came and stepped out for their team. 

The second quarter time ran out, no team was able to advance in the final two minutes of the second quarter. Leaving the Broncos in the lead. 

I sigh, shrugging myself down in my chair.

This is not how I expected to spend my birthday. In cold-ass D.C. weather, in pajama pants. But, honestly compared to last year it has been an upgrade. Jayda was able to order us food from our favorite stop before places started to close up for the game. And she also bought me a cute strawberry shortcake. 

So, I can't complain. 

Everyone in the family called earlier to wish me a happy birthday. Which was nice, my mother tried to talk to me about the situation that was going on. But I really did not want to hear any of that. 

So far it's been a perfect day, with no sign of weird messages/ threats from my father. 

My phone rings. 

Its Tyler. 

"Hey, bro, what's up?" I asked. 

Why is he calling me, he's at the game. 

"Nini," that's not Tyler's voice.

"Trev, what are you doing on Tyler's phone, you're playing at the super bowl right now."

"I-i... I know, but I wanted to hear you're voice." A pregnant pause, "I'm sorry, so sorry for what I did."

"You already apologized."