TWO

Chapter Two| Destiny

The first month of the fall semester has just passed, it's October and classes are now in full function. Jayda and I are now in our last class of the day, her basically passed out on the table. We went out last night and she swore on everything, she would be okay for class today.

But, classic Jayda, she can't hang.

I just let her get her nap in, while I take notes during the lecture.

Forty minutes later, the lecture is over. But, it took me ten minutes to get Jayda to wake up. We finally make it back to the apartment, which is now fully furnished.

"Shall I order pizza?" I announce

"Yes, ma'am," Jayda said after dropping her body on the couch.

I grab my phone and search for our favorite pizza shop. I found their number, but before I could dial it, my phone starts to ring.

Ugh, Lord give me strength.

"What do you want, Trevor?"

"There's that beautiful voice that I love to hear," he deep voice speaks through the phone.

"Boy, stop playing games on my phone. Why are you calling me?"

"What? I can't catch up with my favorite Thompson family member?"

"No, you can't because you never do."

"Well, I guess we should catch up more, then, shall we?" He takes a deep breath, "How's the new apartment of yours?"

I take a look at my phone making sure, I know you I'm talking to.

"Hmm," I sigh. "Look, Trevor, I don't know if you recently found God or something. But, this newfound nicer and caring version of you is kind of creeping me out."

"NiNi," he speaks.

He always does that. Always called me, 'Nini', it started when we were kids. He had zero understanding of the use of the vowels in my name, at the time. So, he would just say 'Nini', I was fine with it at first. But, somewhere around middle school, he kept doing it to annoy me. He's the only person that calls me that, my mom and Diana think it's the cutest thing ever.

"I just wanted to talk to you," he spoke sounding actually sincere. "We've barely held a basic conversation for the last eight months, it kind of feels like you are avoiding me."

Maybe I have been.

"Okay, maybe, we have not been keeping in touch. But, you've been busy with football and everything else."

"Now, you know, Nini, I will always make time for you. You're my best friend."

"Uhh, I wouldn't call us, best friends, saying we are friends is a stretch. We just happen to have grown up together, nothing more, nothing less."

"Yeah, you're right," he says. "You're too ugly to be considered my friend."

"Alright, I'm hanging up now," I groan.

"I'm just playing, Nini," his hearty laugh echos through the phone.

I grin a little bit.

Only a little bit.

"Now, tell me, what has been going on in my non-friends life."

"Nothing much, Just spending time with Jayda and Brandon."