Chapter 230: Life in Torogi (pt. II)

Start from the beginning

"Mister, how much is this corn here?"

What greeted them as soon as they arrived was a lively atmosphere like the one back in Lista, only less noisy and more rural. Even then, it was just as beautiful, people of all tribes bargaining and exchanging words with one another.

Though it may be smaller than many countries, Torogi also has a functioning and healthy economy, using both coins and bartering on a regular basis, with merchants and customers coming from all places, searching for what they desire.

Isolated they may be from the world, everyone uses the same currency as the people in the mainland does. This is because, no matter where one is in the world, currency is made by dungeons and the likes. Meaning, there is only one universal currency.

Unfortunately, due to Torogi's small size and suspiciously low level dungeons, the highest denomination everyone could get is a platinum coin. Even then, what is mostly used are copper and nickel coins. Crystals are nowhere to be found.

"Then, Lord Grey, Lady Yuna, what should we buy first?" [Marika]

"Hm? Didn't Marika also want to buy something?" [Yuna]

"Well, that can wait. My priority right now is to make sure that Lord Grey and Lady Yuna have the best experience!" [Marika]

Declared Marika, ending her words with a sweet smile. There were no lies in her words, only sincerity as she expressed her wanting to be of use. A far cry from her previous, nervous and stuttering impression.

"Then... Would it be alright if we buy some freshwater fish first? I'm a little curious about what kind of seafood you can get in these parts." [Yuna]

"Of course!" [Marika]

There was no time to waste. As soon as Yuna voiced out her wants, Marika's eyes beamed, her head turning left and right as she searched for stalls which sold fish and seafood harvested from the nearby lake.

From giant crabs, black lobsters, freshwater eels, basses, trouts, and many more. A plethora of seafood could be displayed left to right, some still alive and splashing about. It was like the fish market in Lista all over again. Only that there isn't a salty smell of seawater.

"Oh? Lady Marika, welcome back. Are you here to buy something?"

"That's right. We're here to buy some fishes." [Marika]

"Oh! Good for you! A fresh batch of rainbow trouts had just arrived!"

A large smile plastered on his face, the vendor reached out for a nearby crate. As soon as he did, the sound of splashes echoed in the air. Soon, water spilled towards the ground as the man displayed the rainbow trouts he just acquired.

"Ohh... They really are fresh..." [Marika]

"Right...? And they're cheap as well! Just for you, I'll give you a handsome discount! 15 kiels will do!"

The man announced with a bright smile extending from ear to ear. Hearing his words, everyone froze, as if they heard something so absurd. But though they may be frozen, the expressions on Grey and Yuna's faces were very bright.

Well, why wouldn't they be? After all, such a large trout could already fetch about 50 kiels back on Lista, and even higher in Galderia. The price had just been cut by more than three times. They were so shocked, they couldn't even express their happiness.

"So cheー" [Yuna]

"So expensive! That's a scam!" [Marika]

But, oh well, it seems like Marika has a totally different opinion, slamming the stall's desk as she yelled at the man. It was then that the man started backing off, switching to the defensive as the bargain between the two began.