Journey

Sophia Pov-

There was a large roar as everyone was excited that I came back. A lizard man in armor and had two swords came up to me and greeted me this is the leader of the Xenos, Lyd.

"Sophia it's been quite a long time! How's life on the surface?"

"It's fine. By the way, I have brought some food for you guys before I scout for the new routes."

I put down the bag that was on my back and open it to reveal a bunch of meats and vegetables in it. I can see him smiling as he took the bag.

"Thanks as always Sophia why don't you join us."

I shake my head.

"Sorry, my man but I have to finish the job before I can start enjoying myself. "
"Ah right business as usual with you. You should take a rest when you can you know."

Lyd says as he goes back to the rest of the group with a sad look in his eye. I sigh as I yell at him.

"Save some for me when I get back! I'll be sure to be quick!"

I quickly left and went to find a safe area for them. I sometimes ask myself why I don't just stay in the dungeon with them instead of going back to the surface. As my thoughts continued to wander I stop for a second as I look around my surroundings. I notice two large spiders roaming around as I take out my long sword from its sheath.

Making my presence known they attacked me as I stepped to the side and dispatched the first one that attacked. From there I pushed myself forward and pierced the second monster turning it to dust.

"Making good time..."

Putting my weapon back I continue to run and take out any monsters in my way. The run was uneventful I searched for a new same zone. Just one monster to the next until finally reaching a large space without any more monsters.

"This should be fine all I have to do now is wait."

I sit down on a rock and wait and see if any monsters spawn here. Can't have the Xenos sleeping and suddenly be attacked out of nowhere.

I wonder why I care so much for them. Even with my human appearance a few of them like Lyd still accept me as one of their own. Although most of them are still wary, Unlike the humans, up on the surface I don't have to wear this collar to keep up appearances.

  I touch the collar around my neck as the feeling of sickness comes over me. I look at my hand and see black ooze on them.

"Looks like I have to clean out the collar again."

I sigh as take out one of the keys in my pocket and unlock the collar opening it. Finally taking it off, my head rolls off as I see a large amount of black smoke start to go up in the air. Not only that black ooze started to drip out from the amount of time that I haven't taken off the collar.

"Gross..."

I took a jug of water and a towel that I had stashed in my cloak and started cleaning off the black ooze coming from my neck area. It felt nice having the collar off me for a little while. What felt even better was cleaning this black ooze out, it felt like a bunch of mucus stuck in my throat honestly. As I was finishing up I was about to reattach myself and noticed a bit of irritation in my body. I sigh as I put my head on my lap letting my body rest from the suffocation of the collar.

Again why don't I just stay here instead of going back? Honestly, maybe it's because I've already made a life for myself on the surface. Also if new Xenos decided to join us I feel like I would make them feel uncomfortable around me even if I'm technically a humanoid monster.

"Also..."

I look at the collar that was given to me by an old friend as a few memories started to flow to me. I stop myself from remembering any more than I have to as I look to check my surroundings for any kind of danger. Only to see none.

"It would be best if I stayed here a little longer just in case any monsters decide to spawn."

Waiting a little more I start to let my mind wander and soon I started to remember our first meeting.

-20 years ago-

I stood on top of a hill as I read one of the books that one of those adventures had. It was kind of hard to read. No scratch that I didn't know how to read at all I tried turning it but it still didn't make any sense. Out of frustration, I slammed the book on the ground. I could read names and speak them but that's about it. Whenever I try to speak it comes out broken. It's all so frustrating!

The smoke from my body started to fume even more but I quickly calmed down. I look at the surface again and see the rocky scenery around me. I was able to leave the dungeon about a month ago although with me leaving a lot of those adventures started hunting me down. It was annoying but I was able to keep myself under control and not kill them.

I learned while in the dungeon that the more of them I kill the more dangerous they become so just knocking them out with my skill will do the trick and just take them far away from me. Though recently there have been more adventures coming after me. Should I just move altogether?

As I continued to ponder this thought I suddenly felt the presence of life around me as I took the sword by my side. And pick up my head on my lap. At best there were three around me one of them seemed strong but nothing I couldn't take care of. I dodged the projectile that was coming at me and went toward the archer. When I was able to see them they were all surprised by how quickly I was able to close the distance to them. I used it to my advantage and used my fear skill to incapacitate them.

The archer and the other adventurer were quickly dealt with but then there was the third one A woman with silver long hair and a black dress.

Before I could think of my next move she was already in front of me as she raised her hand and shouted.

"Lugio!"

Quickly I dodged to the side but her spell was too quick and I was pushed back. I look down and notice that a part of my clothing was destroyed. Getting my sword ready I ready myself for a fight.

...................

After about ten minutes the woman were breathing heavily and I had wounds all over my body. Luckily I was able to protect my head and keep my cool. Honestly, I thought I was almost a goner. As I approached her to knock her out I notice her eyes were two different colors one was green while the other was grey.

"Pretty..."

I say out for no reason at all. I don't know why I said it but I did. The women looked at me shocked.

"You....you can speak?"

I didn't say anything as I had an idea pop into my head. I put my head on the ground to watch her as my body retrieved the book. If she tried anything I should be able to react quickly enough.

My body quickly took the book and went back to get my head. For some reason she didn't do anything maybe she was looking for an opportunity but having my head exposed was a great opportunity to attack me. It doesn't matter what matters is this.

I open the book to the first page and sat in front of her showing the book as her expression became bewildered. I say to the best of my capacity to speak and...

"Teach! Read!"

".................................huh"

That was the day I met my first human friend.

--------------------------------------------
:)