Chapter 39: Two Hearts

" And with that, our business is done. "

You picked up the papers from the table and tapped them so they would even out and settle. You looked across the dining hall at Alois, who didn't look bored but didn't also look entertained either. Finally, after another week, you completed the paperwork necessary for the upcoming business project. Together your company would combine with Alois's own company for a short period. Within that time, you and Alois would work as partners until the project was over. 

You stood up from the table, slipped the papers into a large file envelope, and sealed it, ensuring the documents were safe.

   "Paperwork is never fun. " Alois complained, standing up from the table and stretching.

   " Yeah, but as I said, it has to be done before you can relax. That way, you don't have to worry about it later. "

   " You are very correct. Now, what shall we do, since we have the time? " Alois asked with a bright smile.

   " Excuse me? "

   " Now, that the mediocre, paper work is done, what fun shall we have? " The man asked, leaning on the table.

   " Alois, I'm leaving. "

   " Leaving? "

   " Yes, to go back to my estate. Since our business is officially done, I can return to my estate and continue business there. I might even visit Ci-"

   " No! "

You slightly flinched from the unexpected shout from the blonde in front of you. Alois's eyes were wide, brows furrowed, and his mouth in a sad frown. Alois started walking around the table, coming closer to you as he spoke.

   " You can't leave just yet! There are still many things we can do! "

   " But, I've been here for two weeks, Alois. "

   " And? What's wrong with staying a little longer? You already have your own room within my estate, and you call me by name. "

Alois grasped your shoulders tightly, making you tense up. Alois's face was close to yours, and you couldn't believe the quick change from calm to tears he had just performed. It only took three seconds for him to turn angry, sad, and now upset altogether. 

   " Alois--"

   " Please, don't leave me, Y/n. It hasn't been that long, but I find your comfort and presence. . .warm. I don't like sleeping unless I'm with you because you won't take advantage of me, unlike the other vile wenches out there! And like the previous Trancy. . . "

Alois let his head fall and leaned against yours, wrapping his arms around your shoulders and gently hugging you. His head rested on your shoulder, and he hugged you as if you were made of glass.

The mention of being taken advantage of sparked a memory within you. A memory from your childhood that you discovered with Undertaker. How one of the Harveys almost took advantage of you, and how they destroyed your childhood self. 

   " Alois. . .did the old earl. . ."

   " Yes. . .he did. "

You didn't know what to say, so you didn't say anything. Instead, you slowly set your orange file folder down and wrapped your arms around Alois's waist, hugging him back and resting your head on his shoulder.

   " I'll stay with you. "

   " Really!? "

Alois raised his head and smiled at you brightly, and you raised your head, showing him a small smile.