Chapter 36: Meeting Earl Trancy

It had been a long time, and you had never heard from Ciel again. You had heard the news that he went missing and could not be found, along with Sebastian. And you knew if Sebastian was gone, there was no hope in finding the man who had once proposed to you. After hearing the news, you were devastated, and you even went to the estate to check on everyone, and they all were depressed. 

Your father's company and your mother's practice grew, and you became well known all over London. After your eighteenth birthday, you took over your father's company and management over all of the hospitals your mother had run. It was a lot, but you could keep up the work. Your parents had retired to an estate further in the countryside, and you owned your parent's estate. You had even made ties with the Trancy family and started some business with them, though you had never met anyone in the family.

Every week you would receive a marriage proposal, but you had never accepted any of them. You didn't think of marriage ever since Ciel had once proposed to you, but after he had been missing for months, you gave up on hoping he was alive.

   " My Lady, there's another marriage proposal for you. "

   " Is it from Viscount Druitt again? "

   " Yes, it is. "

   " That's the second one this week. You know what to do with it. " 

   " I will set it in the fireplace to burn. "

   " Thanks Mary. Is there anything else going on? "

   " The head of the Trancy family wishes to meet with you. He sent a letter requesting that you stay at the Trancy Manor and discuss the details of your next project. "

You turned toward Mary, shocked at the news she had brought you. For once, you would get to meet the head of the Trancy family. To see who you were working with this entire time. You asked Mary for the letter, which she handed to you. You read through the letter and found that your maid was right; the man had wanted to meet with you tonight over dinner. 

   " Well, send him a letter telling him I accept his invitation right away, and let's start preparing for an overnight stay. "

   " How, long will you be over? "

   " This letter said a guest room is prepared for me, and I will stay as long as I wish. Prepare three days' worth of clothes and two nights' worth of nightgowns. In case, this discussion seems to be longer than expected. I'm projecting it'll possibly be one day longer, but if anything changes I will send letter right away. "

   " Yes, ma'am. "

Mary left your office to prepare you for travel. You looked outside toward the slowly falling sun and realized that you wouldn't get much more work done since the Trancy Manor was far from your estate. So you set aside your work and walked to your room, helping Mary pack your things. With two people working together, your stuff was packed in a few minutes.

   " Please, keep watch of the estate. If anything happens notify me as soon as possible. "

   " Don't worry, me, Lady. Things will be fine here. Just enjoy your time at the Trancy Manor. You haven't been out a lot, ever since Earl Phatonhive went missing. "

   " I--"

   " You haven't my Lady. Please don't deny it. "

You sighed and nodded. You stepped inside your carriage, and Mary waved you off as you headed toward the Trancy Manor. The trip was boring, but you had a few papers to work on. First, you completed a contract for a new hospital in your mother's name. 

   ' All I have to do is mail this off, and the construction will start in a week. '

You set the contract papers away and closed your bag, but as soon as you did, you noticed Trancy Manor in the distance. The estate reminded you of a small castle; it was a long building with many floors. The rooftops were a light blue color, while the brick of the building was a cream color. There was no one outside the building to greet you, and when your coach stopped, you stood outside and watched your carriage drive away. Once the carriage was a small distance from the estate, you started walking up the steps to the castle.