Chapter 11: The Demon Hound Pt. 1

" Resort, resort, we're so happy! "

The cart behind you contained Bard, Mey-Rin, and Finny cheering as Tanaka drove the cart. They were all lively, seeing as they didn't have to work, and they planned on relaxing. With Sebastian driving, you were sitting in another horse and buggy cart ahead of them. You sat beside Ciel as the coaches moved forward, keeping your eyes on the landscape. You couldn't look at Ciel. You still had a lot to think about and had not yet settled your feelings about the situation. You were asked to go on the trip, and you agreed. You didn't want to be left at the Phantomhive estate alone, with no one there to entertain you.

   " Isn't this wonderful, Mey-Rin? I'm so moved! " Finny said, smiling at the woman across from him. "

   " Yes, yes! I can't believe he's taking us with him to the Queen's health resort! "

   " I guess even the younger master has his good points! " Bard inquired.

   " They are fortunate people. It appears they're grateful to you, my kind young master. " Sebastian said in front of you.

Your eyes glanced at Sebastian before returning to the scene outside of the cart. Nothing looked lively. Everything looked on the verge of death.

   " I don't want to leave them behind by themselves and come back to find the manor destroyed. " Ciel replied.

   " Indeed. "

A sign came into view, and you cringed at how it looked. The sign had pieces torn from the wood. A crow rested on the top of the sign, and hanging on the other side was a dog collar that had spikes. The words carved in the sign said, 'Welcome to Houndsworth,' and it was carved beautifully, but the rest of the sign looked as destroyed as the land around you.

   " This would seem to be the entrance to the village. " Sebastian said, stopping the cart.

You looked up at the tree near the sign and felt your face pale at the sight. There were no leaves on the tree, and the tree looked almost withered away. The wind could blow, and the tree would fall easily. Hanging from the branches were more dog collars and a small scythe used for harvest. Skulls sat on the ground underneath the tree, and you could recognize the skulls as dog skulls upon seeing the sharp canine teeth. Mey-Rin, Bard, and Finny screamed, startling you. You jumped a little, and your side pressed against Ciel's.

   " I forgot to tell you one thing: this is the planned construction site for the resort. "

   " Young master. . ." The three cried.

Ciel placed his left hand on your left shoulder and attempted to comfort you. You looked towards his hand but didn't say anything. Instead, you accepted the gesture and turned your face away from the tree.

   ' What a welcome. '

The cart continued past the sign and down the road. You leaned away from Ciel and looked ahead of the cart.

   " Thank you. " You said to him.

Ciel nodded his head towards you and turned his head to focus forward. Soon a person on the side of the road came into view.

   " Hey, I found the first villager! Stop the carriage, Tanaka! " Finny shouted.

The woman had a baby cart with her, and it looked like she was rocking the coach to get it unstuck, but she wasn't getting the cart any closer to freedom. Finally, the cart stopped, and Sebastian stopped your carriage. You watched as Finny jumped out and walked up to the granny.

   " I'll help you out there, Granny! "

Finny took the cart out of the crevice it was stuck in and set it back down, but due to his strength, he slammed the carriage back onto the ground. You leaned over to check if the baby was okay from your cart but flinched back towards Ciel. There was no baby inside the small cart but a dog skull.