Chapter 34: The Church

Sebastian and the lady went inside a stable alone; the sun had set long ago. However, when noises started to come out of the house, you realized what was happening and turned around, embarrassed to look at the house. Ciel covered your ears, hoping to spare you from the noise.

   " Oh, stop, you'll make me impure! "

   " Whatever. . .do you. . .mean? "

Even though Ciel had covered your ears, you could still hear the woman's squeals inside the stable. 

   " I didn't know he used this approach. " Ciel said with an awkward expression on his face.

   " I'll put that wench on the To-Die list! " Grell shouted.

Out of all the people, Grell was the most upset by the situation. He pulled out a small notebook and started writing in it. You leaned against Ciel and uncovered his hands from your ears.

   " Oh, I can see the gates of heaven! "

   " I don't think covering my ears is going to do anything. "

As you leaned against Ciel, you could feel something poking your back. You lowered your head and looked at what was poking you, but it was hidden from your sight. Whatever was poking, you were hidden within Ciel's jacket pocket.

   " What's in your pocket? " You questioned.

   " Nothing to worry about right now. I think Sebastian is done. "

You looked toward the stable to see that the building had stopped shaking. The noises had stopped as well. Sebastian opened the door to the stable and stepped out, fixing his gloves.

   " I believe we will be getting the information we need. Please come inside. "

Sebastian didn't have a smile on his face and looked displeased. You followed Ciel inside, with Grell behind you. Grell held onto your shoulders as you entered the stable and glared at the woman inside. The woman had her clothes on except for her headdress and shoes. She brushed through her hair, getting straw out of her hair, and she smiled as if what she did was nothing. 

   " Now, please, enlighten us. " Sebastian said, still frowning.

   " The Doomsday Books of those who have lived a long time are impure. Our leader cleanses the unclean passages. And we're told not only the past, but the future is recorded there. "

Grell's body shook, and you knew that Grell would have lept at the girl if you weren't there. Grell squeezed your shoulders tightly, but you didn't mind.

   " The future, eh? "

   " Yes. But only the chosen of the heavenly choir can be told it. "

   " The heavenly choir? What, do they sing hymns? " Ciel questioned.

   " I believe 'sing' may not be the right word. . .But I hear beautiful voices from our leader's bedchamber. . ."

After hearing that, you left the stable with the others, going to discuss everything you learned. Unfortunately, it was dark out, and the only light showing you the way back to the building was the moonlight. You didn't have much time to talk about everything because the ceremony started when you returned to the church. You sat in the last pew in the back of the sanctuary. Grell sat beside Sebastian hugging his arm, while you sat beside Ciel on Sebastian's other side. The ceremony started, and a man with a white, red, and gold robe stood at a table with two single candles. His eyes were covered so that you couldn't see his face.

   " Here, tonight, the sinful unclean shall be made pure. "

Two people were escorted onto the stage in robes. Behind them were people that wore the same robe as the man at the podium. They stripped the two people from their robes, revealing their naked bodies. One was a man, and the other was a woman, but both had the same mark on their backs. It was the symbol from the stained glass Ciel was staring at earlier. Both people kneeled, keeping their arms together. A man with two books stepped up to the stage and handed the books to the man at the podium.