Chapter 224: Troubled Waters (pt. II)

Start from the beginning

"But Captain, at this rate, we won't really get any fish."

"I hate to say this, Captain, but I think he's right. Since we haven't fished in the west, maybe they all gathered there, right?"

"T-That's right! Captain, I think we should head west too!"

"I also agree with them, Captain!"

One after another, the crew voiced their opinions about heading west. Though there were some in opposition, an overwhelming majority agreed on the idea of heading west, mostly those who were in desperate need of money.

The Captain knew from his years of experience that only danger entails breaking such rules. He himself had tried to go there and almost died when he was young. Even then, he couldn't just shoot down everyone's hope.

'No... That was already decades ago... I'm sure it's changed now...' [Captain]

Fooling himself with such a thought, the Captain conquered his fear of heading out far and faced his crew with resolute eyes. There was only one choice to be made. He chose to listen to the people's voices.

"I understand. Let's head west for now, but if we still don't get any catch after noon comes, we'll head back to the port." [Captain]

"Woohoo! Captain, you're the best!"

"Alright! We'll be going west!"

At the Captain's words, everyone cheered happily. Though the Captain was worried about what might happen, after seeing such faces plastered over his subordinates, he could waver no more. Soon enough, they all headed west.

It took them several minutes to get there, but after casting the net and bait, there was only a couple minutes of wait and a myriad of splashes echoed in the air. Fishes of all kinds and sizes gathered around, splashing about as they feasted on the bait.

"A-Amazing! I've never seen so many fishes before!"

"Looks like we're right! Heading west really was the answer!"

"Hahaha! We'll be having a grand celebration tonight!"

Happy expressions painted on their faces, everyone quickly drew back the nets and caught all the fishes. It was a hard struggle, but they all pushed through until the end. Dozens upon dozens of barrels were filled with fishes, al, full to the brim.

But such happiness didn't last very long. The next moment was something which could only be described as a nightmare. One so dark and grim, even full-fledged knights would tremble and cry if they ever faced it

"Wh-What's happening?!"

"B-B-Beasts! Beasts are heading our way!"

"Everyone, grab your spears!"

It was all too sudden. Before they knew it, hundreds upon hundreds of beasts were heading their way, parting the waters as they cruised through, their fins and spikes poking out of the water. A sight which could easily imbue fear in anyone's heart.

The bells rang, the crew panicked, the waves roared, and the ship rocked left and right. Everything descended into chaos as the beasts crashed upon their ship, leaving large marks behind and slowly but surely breaking it down.

They already erected the barriers ships have, but it was futile. Though it could protect them from the likes of F-rank beasts and below, with a number of E-rank and D-rank beasts along the stampede, it was powerless, all they could do was struggle in vain.

Now, the Captain could only watch in silence as he watched the ship's barrier get torn to pieces and his crew fall in despair. In such a chaotic and hellish scene, only a single thought revolved around his mind over and over again,