Unwell

The man came dashing into the room, lunging himself into my arms.

The Twilight book I had was already safe and put away on top of the drawer next to me.

"(Y/n)!!" Ace said with utter emotions of sadness.

His arms wrapped around my tiny body had my heart melt with unnecessary emotions.

I can't fall in love with somebody like him... he's too perfect. I'm already in love with a man of several mystery's; well, I wouldn't say I'm in love with him... but if I said that- I would seem like a total disappointment that I already was from the beginning of my existence.

"I'm sorry Ace..." sniffling out my words, he rose his head from my now socked sheets.

"Why are you apologizing...? You didn't do anything wrong..." his voice was deep, but he knew what I was sorry for. I knew that he knew.

"I fell in love with the wrong man... I'm doing this for my captain... mostly..." I cleared my throat as I continued to whisper into his ear, so that only he could hear my words, "If I hadn't eaten that fruit... non of this would have happened..."

Ace's reaction only had my soul deepen into oblivion. He hugged me tighter, but he was sobbing harder than he was when he came in.

Placing my hand on top of his black curl-tipped hair, I knew that was the only way I could comfort him. Words couldn't comfort him right now, and I knew that.

"I'll wait for you, okay? I wont give up on you that easily. I found you that one day and fell in love the next. If it's revenge you want right now... then I'll wait. Even if one of us dies in the end, I will never stop loving you..." His words touched my soul.

Me of all people... and you would choose me...? It wasn't fair to Ace at all, but I had to accept his words and move on.

  Out of nowhere, giggles emanating from my throat came pouring out of my mouth. I couldn't stop my disrespectful action, and honestly, I didn't know why I was giggling. One thing was for sure, though; I was going to die in the end. Most definitely.

  "I'm so sorry- I didn't mean to start giggling-"

  A switch in position was in act; Ace's hand was now caressing my left cheek.

  "I know how you feel, (Y/n). You have every right to feel every emotion right now. But I promise you, we will end up having the life we've always wanted. I promise."

  His pupils sang a sad song while both his lips and eyebrows were dancing to the inexistent melody.

  I wanted to say much more, do much more, act much more, do anything I can and much more with Ace. But fate only brought us to this moment for a reason.

  No matter what happens, I will act joyous in Doflamingo's presence and win him over at any cost.

  Silence broke out as Ace let go of my grasp. It felt as if he were a cat that leapt out of my arms. I felt empty without him.

  "I'll see you later, hopefully. I hope you get better soon." Pretending nothing happened between the two of us, he released my favorite smile. It was like a lopsided smile that showed most of his teeth. I smiled back, of course.

Once his warm presence was gone, I quickly grabbed the book from the top of the drawer, resuming the little investigation I was doing with the card.

"Let's see if there are any clues on these pages..."

Flipping the pages, I attempt to observe any colored ink or unusual handwriting.

This is unusual... the book seems new but the note is extremely withered.

"Oh- what is that?"

Stopping at a page, there was finally a difference.

"A huge circle of black ink is surrounding lines 17-19, on page 223,"

The lines said,

He sighed. "Will you forgive me if I apologize?"
"Maybe... if you mean it. And if you promise not to do it again," I insisted.

"Hm... this sounds very familiar... but why the hell is it circled so oddly?" My confusion was intensified asI attempted to understand what this was supposed to mean.

If my captain was supposed to give this to me on my birthday, then why would he even write in the book?... Well, it seems brand new, so I don't think this was specifically the book he was trying to bestow upon me.

Re-reading the two lines a few more times, I come to a sudden realization.

"Could this be a message from Doflamingo??" I yell while trying my best to whisper.

He's seriously trying to give me a second chance? He's clearly losing his mind.

Staring at the page, now in deep thought, I could hear footsteps coming from the other side of the door.

The steps stopped and opened my door.

Watching the door slowly open, a hand was clenching onto the doorknob. Yellow hair, crimson shades, gold earrings, pink fluffy coat, and a menacing smile came out from the other side.

I didn't know what to do, honestly. I knew that I had to act normal or else who would seem skeptical of me.

"I see that you've already taken a look at the book,"

"Yes..."

I wanted to ask him about the note and the two lines bing oddly circled.

"I can tell that you're curious, probably about the note?"

Haha, he knows me well, and only in such little time.

"Yes, the note- I'm curious about that. Why was it in the book?"

I didn't know if I wanted to know the answer to that question because I felt like he would say something unpleasant.

"Well... after we rescued you from your half wrecked ship, some of my people went to go check out the remaining wreckage. They found bits and pieces of papers scattered everywhere. The note that's in that book was the only one that didn't get completely ruined. I thought it would be nice to give it to you now."

I felt a bit sad and somewhat happy.

"Thank you, Doffy,"

I paused to smile at him, trying not to fake it.

"It really means a lot..."