Family

My family wasn't rich: we couldn't pay for our bills or go out to eat at restaurants or get new clothes and shoes and jewelry. That, well I wasn't worried about money or new things. We could only eat cheap food, like bread. We lived near a river, so we would drink water from there; we would get sick from drinking it.

  I had my mother, my father, and my little brother.

  Both of my parents set really high expectations for us. I would be a Lawyer and my brother would be a doctor. My brother wasn't fine with this idea, and I wasn't either.

  The weird part about this is that my brother would always get praised for doing anything: getting into trouble, getting high grades, getting low grades... the list goes on. So it didn't really matter if my brother wanted to be a doctor or not. He would get praised either way.

  I, on the other hand, only get praised when I got solid 100 on all of my tests and classes. It was hard to keep that score. I was only able to earn amazing grades until, well, until I met Ace.

  The first time I met Ace was when I was sitting next to the river, drinking water and reading a book about "How to become the greatest Lawyer". Sadly, I stole that book from a fake friend of mine.

  "Hey!" I turned my head as fast as I could when I heard the angry voice behind me.

  "W-what's wrong? I'm not doing anything wrong!" I shut my book with one hand and shielded myself with it, showing the front cover of the book to Ace. His face dropped.

  "How to become the greatest Lawyer... you wanna be a Lawyer...?" As I opened my eyes from the question I've never been asked before, I glared at him in confusion.

  "What do you mean? I have to be a Lawyer!"

  His eyes squinted at me with anger. His hands were also resting on his hips.

  "So... do you enjoy that book?"

  "Uhm-" My voice cracked, "Well, the writing of this book is amazing, but the amount of knowledge that I have to take in- I don't enjoy it. My parents forced me into this, so I can't go back!" I was standing up at this point while clutching the book in my arms, "I've worked too hard to get tremendous grades! Tremendous grades that only happen once in a while... but I try! My parents will only talk to me when I get grades that fascinate them! So I have to keep going!" Tears came pouring down, leaving my eyes red.

  I dropped the book with a slight force.

  I continued to cry but I tried not to, "Shit! Stop!" I smacked my face once. When going for the second blow, a hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me into their chest.

  "You haven't cried at all... have you?"

  My eyes widened, causing myself to look up at him while having my snot run down his shirt. "N-NO-" my words shivered and my teeth gripped.

  After a few minutes, I cleared my throat and sat on his chest while he was laying on the floor.

  "I'm extremely sorry... I hate crying. Please don't view me as some angry cry baby." I said while wiping away the tears and snot on my face.

  "Hmmm- I think I'll think of you as an angry cry baby."

  I jumped up from him, standing up.

  "Hey! Come on, give me a chance!"

  "Well, lets hang out then."

   My eyes lit up with utter confusion.

  I kept opening my mouth but words wouldn't come out.