thirty

25 December 2020

My body jolts itself awake suddenly like I've been woken from a nightmare but I have no recollection of my dreams

The entire front of my body is hot, Addie's pressed tight against the front of my body. My arms are around her to keep her close, her hands holding onto my arms while she sleeps peacefully.

We're still on the sofa but it's bright outside, light flooding into the living room and I'm surprised the girls aren't awake yet.

I was exhausted yesterday, especially after everything that went down during the day that it slipped my mind that December 24th is the worst day of the year for Addie.

I woke up because I reached for her in bed and she wasn't there, it made me panic and I rushed downstairs to find her sobbing uncontrollably on the sofa.

It all hit me at that moment and all the memories of her over the years in the same state as that came back to me.

The Christmas eve's we were apart, I spent thinking about her. I hoped she had someone there to hold her while she cried, to reassure her and make sure she was safe to be completely vulnerable.

My body curls closer to Addie, my lips pressing against the back of her neck as I cherish her warmth that I'll forever bask in.

This is a forever thing.

My eyes begin falling shut again but a tired, raspy whisper makes my eyes open. "Harry?"

"Mmm?" I hum against the back of her neck, nuzzling my nose against her skin to get myself closer to her while she shuffles further back even though we are already pressed tight against one another.

She doesn't respond to me but carefully shifts in my arms to turn over, her head falling back against the couch cushion but in line with mine so I can see her pretty, sleepy face.

"Merry Christmas, Harry." I've longed to hear those words fall from her plump lips ever since our first Christmas apart, the sleepy rasp of her voice mixed with the adoration in her eyes makes my heart thump harder in my chest.

My hand lands softly on her face, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Merry Christmas, Adalaide."

A tiny smile spreads over her lips, leaning forward to gently press her lips against mine in a sweet but short kiss.

Before she can pull completely away I rest my forehead against hers, my hand on the back of her head to keep her there. My eyes flitting between hers, softening to a new extreme while my lips part slightly just in utter disbelief that this woman is real.

"Addie..." My voice is barely a whisper, it's so quiet that even at our close proximity I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't hear me.

"Harry." She replies, her voice just as quiet as mine was.