Chapters 142 - 144

Chapter 142

The family of Jiang Ningbao's uncle resided in a place far away from the capital which led them to travel through the water road. Although the water road was faster, a lot of people in ancient times would feel uncomfortable boarding the ship. It was easy to get sea-sickness.

When the sky slowly turned dark, as an unmarried lady, it was not fitting for her to get out of the residence. Hence, the job of welcoming their uncle's family was given to her older brother, Jiang Jin. She went to the wine cellar and took two earthen jars of medicinal wines that calmed the heart and the mind which she gave to her older brother.

"Brother, these two earthen jugs of medicinal wines are for uncle and the others. It can heal the uncomfortable parts of the body."

This wine was suitable to be drunk by people with sea-sickness. It could stop vomiting and the headache. Not only that, it could also refresh one's mind and the body would feel comfortable.

Jiang Jin did not think that Jiang Ningbao would took out the medicinal wines and his handsome face was filled with surprise.

"Ningbao, I shall go to see uncle and the others so I might return late. You should rest early." Jiang Jin rubbed Jiang Ningbao's head affectionately. Then, he hugged the two earthen jugs of medicinal wines and left hastily.

Jiang Ningbao stared at her older brother's leaving back and returned to her room with a small smile. Her uncle's family's punctual arrival made Jiang Ningbao release a breath.

On the day of adding dowry, no relative or friends or the second branch came. Even Second Madam Xie who was rescued by Jiang Ningbao's mother did not come, only sending someone to give a dowry gify to her.

A very common dowry gift.

Jiang Ningbao did not care about it. Second Madam Xie probably hated her guts since someone who had her engagement annulled climbed to Duke Ding and would step on her son's head.

Once she gave birth to the duke's son, the position of the duke residence would not fall into Xie Jingyi's hand.

Jiang Ningbao thought in her heart that if it was possible, perhaps Second Madam Xie would not even send any gift, but everyone knew that Jiang Ningbao's mother rescued Second Madam Xie once so Second Madam Xie could not act ungrateful and ruined her own reputation.

"Lady, your uncle and his family have arrived. Our second branch can finally hold our heads high! This servant once heard the other servants rambling that our lady has no living elders and had to rely on their first branch masters for help. This servant can finally let out frustration."

Chun Xi spoke with an angry manner.

Jiang Ningbao sipped her tea and her lips curved to a small smile. "Their mouths grow on their own faces so we cannot control it. Moreover, we indeed needed first branch's help to entertain the guests."

"If the second master and the second madam were still alive, where would there be space for the first branch? " Chun Xi felt unresigned in her heart. Her lady was about to get married to Duke Ding and the noble madams who came to add dowry all had high status.

Because of this, First Madam personally greeted those madams and borrowed this opportunity to widen her connections. Entertaining the count residence's friends and relatives were given to the First Madam who now sat on that place without shaking.

Jiang Ningbao became silent.

If there's gain then there would loss, she guessed. As long as her parents were alive, she was fine with it.