Chapter 40 - 42

Chapter 40

The hatred in Madam Zhang's heart was rolling in waves. She was the legal miss of a falling noble house, but her clan was degrading and eating next year's food in advance was normal. A few days ago, her mother sent a servant to say that the house already unemployed not little servants while the ones remaining were the ones that could not be unemployed, maintaining the face of the noble family.

If the family was too poor, Madam Zhang would not have face so she had to help.

Changning Count Residence did not have merits and had no fourth rank officials or above for a few generations. The residence did not lack money and the deceased second brother was a business genius, earning a lot of money and obtaining many lands for the count residence.

At the beginning, she placed importance on this point and when her second sister-in-law, Madam Yang, wanted to have separate residence, Madam Zhang kept talking to the old madam about how it was best that brothers helped each other and benefit from each other non-stop.

And it was proven that she was right.

The count residence flourished day by day and the food and clothes became better not just by one level.

After her second brother-in-law and her second sister-in-law met with mishap, the money fell to the old madam's grasp. Madam Zhang did not dare to blatantly used the money to help her family. She had two sons and her eldest daughter-in-law was pregnant and was casting her gaze on the compensation in Jiang Ningbao's hand. She especially said she wanted the two big boxes of gold.

Now, because of the old madam's words, there was nothing. It all went to the hands of the wretch from the second branch.

Madam Zhang was so angry she almost vomit blood.

"Madam, the fifth rank position fell on the count and the fifth lady is about to get engaged with Xie family's second branch's legal young master. There must not be any mistake at this point. After fifth lady's engagement is settled, it's not too late to deal with fourth lady." Old servant Yang was afraid that the madam would do something bad in impulse and tried to persuade her.

Once First Madam Zhang heard old servant Yang mentioning Yao'er, her fury lessened.

That's right. The most important thing was to settle the engagement belonging to Yao'er.

Dealing with Jiang Ningbao was a later matter.

"Old servant Yang, pick some clever servants with good looks to the Western Courtyard, lest others said that our Changning Count Residence treated the second branch's lady horribly because she only had a single servant." First Madam Zhang spoke darkly.

"And the second branch's Brother Jin is almost eighteen and there is no close female servants around him. This is the neglect of this aunt. Remember to send some pretty female servants with some means to his courtyard."

After Jiang Ningbao woke up from a nap at noon, there were laughter and talks outside the courtyard.

Jiang Ningbao knitted her brows. She rose from the bed and wore her outer clothes. She walked out the room and saw four pretty female servants embroidering pouch under the eaves in the verandas.

"Who are you? Why are you here?"

The four servants heard an unhappy inquiry and lifted their heard. It was the fourth lady. They hurriedly rose and put down their embroidery and respectfully greeted, "This servant greets fourth lady."

"Us servants were sent by the first madam to serve the miss." A servant with apple shaped face explained clearly and sharply. After saying this, the four of them introduced themselves.