Chapter 7 - 9

Chapter 7

The white and blue branch incense burner on top of a frame in the parlor was lit with white sandalwood and the smoke lingered.

Out of the corner of her eye, Jiang Ningbao secretly took in the expressions of Old Madam Jiang and the First Madam Zhang. She lowered her eyes. It was indeed as the book wrote. The compensation of canceling the engagement was being the adopted sister, also Duke Ding Residence's oldest miss.

If the one whose engagement was canceled was not her, then Jiang Ningbao might even praise this move.

The fiancee who had the engagement but lost her parents would had her marriage plan controlled by Old Madam Jiang and the First Madam.

Xie Jingyi was no doubt the book's male lead. He grasped the hearts of Old Madam Jiang and the others accurately.

Old Madam Jiang and First Madam Zhang was not willing to revoke the engagement because they did not want to lose the support of Duke Ding Residence. If Jiang Ningbao became the eldest miss of Duke Ding Residence, entering the Xie clan genealogy book, then Changning Count Residence would forever be bound to Duke Ding Residence.

At this moment, the willingness of Jiang Ningbao who was at the center of this matter was not needed.

The clan's interest was the most important.

Jiang Ningbao lowered her eyes and pretended to bit her lower lip in, feeling upset. No one noticed the indifference in her eyes.

Now, Changning Count Residence's biggest power in the household – First Madam Zhang, broke this silence.

"Mother, don't you think that you should give fourth girl's engagement further thought?"

Jiang Mingyao snapped toward her mother. On her cold and icy face was a trace of her dumbfounded feelings, as if she could not believe that the first to agree was her own mother.

She bit her lips and lowered her head. She did not dare to look at fourth sister in fear of seeing the stupefied gaze in her eyes.

Being Duke Ding Residence's oldest miss was good, but her engagement being canceled would cause some damage to the reputation.

Even if she was to be married, this stain won't disappear.

The husband family might not make a fuss to give face to Duke Ding Residence, but when it's already long, they might think differently.

Since fourth sister was not Xie clan's flesh and blood.

Could Duke Ding Residence protect her for the rest of her life?

Jiang Mingyao won't believe that her mother did not think of this.

Old Madam Jiang thought it through and her heart already leaned on the compensation, but she was embarrassed to open her mouth. First Madam Zhang's suggestion gave her a leeway and Old Madam Jiang glanced at Jiang Ningbao who felt unsettled and moved her gaze away.

"It should indeed be thought further."

Once these words came out, Old Madam Jiang was indeed slapping her own face. She just promised that her granddaughter's reputation preceded everything, but not even fifteen minutes later, she said the opposite. The servants inside the hall did their best to become invisible.

Madam Zhang heaved a sigh of relief in her heart. As long as mother agreed, it mattered not if her niece opposed. She turned to Butler Zhao and with a careful and probing voice, she asked, "Butler Zhao, regarding Sir Heir's compensation, what is the opinion of Old Madam Xie and Sir Duke?"