Stargazing (Lapis Lazuli x Reader)

Start from the beginning

Everyone then began to throw ideas at each other, each of them having a different idea of what the best course of action was. (Y/N) was uncharacteristically silent as her feet practically burned a hole in the ground, pacing back and forth. The girl zoned out from the conversation, racking her brain for places that Lapis could have gone. To say that she was worried would be an understatement. She was desperate to find Lapis. Despite only knowing each other for a short time, they had grown quite fond of one another. (Y/N) understood how hard it was to adjust to new surroundings, knew what it felt like to be alone, knew exactly what must have been running through Lapis' head.

The human girl continued to pace away from the group before a realisation finally hit her. She knew where Lapis was. She knew exactly where she had gone. (Y/N) turned back to the group but faltered when she caught Garnet's gaze.

"Go." is the only word Garnet says, seemingly knowing exactly what (Y/N) was thinking.

(Y/N) gives a grateful nod to the leader of the Crystal Gems before taking off towards the Warp Pad. The girl rushed through the beach house and down the coast, headed to the heart of Beach City. Her legs were on autopilot, her subconscious knowing exactly where she was headed. It was a place in which (Y/N) had escaped to on numerous occasions. A secluded place which she had showed no one, not her friends, not her dad, not even Steven. No one. No one but Lapis.

(Y/N)'s long strides slowed down to a walk as she finally entered the abandoned building at the edge of town. The walls were practically falling apart, chunks of rubble and debris were scattered across the area. Windows were either broken, boarded up or missing entirely. The smell of something rotten mixed with unfiltered dust would send most running the other way. Small weeds and vines had begun to reclaim the abandoned space, providing an indicator at just how long these walls had been vacant. While for others, this space would bring a sense of loneliness, abandonment and despair, (Y/N) felt an odd comfort within its walls. Here, she was alone, and that used to be something which she desperately sought out.

The girl carefully ascended the flight of stairs, headed for the roof, continuing higher till the moonlight hit her face. She felt her troubles melt away as she basked in the rays of the moon, momentarily forgetting the reason that she had made the trip at all. (Y/N) opened her eyes and a frown fell on her face, her eyes glued to her previously missing friend.

Lapis had her legs pulled up close to her chest, her chin resting on her knee as she gazed out absentmindedly at a sleeping Beach City. (Y/N) slowly approached the girl, walking on eggshells, scared that too sudden of a movement would scare away the distressed Gem.

The human girl took a seat next to Lapis, no words being exchanged, Lapis refusing to meet (Y/N)'s gaze. The two remain silent for a while longer, the tension thick, almost suffocating. Lapis felt herself grow more anxious as she waited for (Y/N) to inevitably speak up, to ask her what was wrong, to ask her why she had taken off, to ask her why she had run away.

"Peridot is really worried about you," (Y/N) started, immediately cut off with a broken laugh.

Lapis couldn't help but laugh. In confusion, in anger, in sadness. She didn't know what she was feeling, so she laughed. She laughed till her laughter became indistinguishable from sobs.

"Why?!" She asked, her voice breaking. "I don't understand why any of you are worried. I've done nothing but be cold and cruel since I escaped that mirror." she spat, denying herself of any sympathy.

"No one blames you for how you've acted–"

"HOW!? I stole the world's oceans! I broke your dad's van! I attacked you guys!" She listed off, arguing as to why she didn't deserve (Y/N)'s empathy.

"You were scared. You had been trapped in that mirror for years, you just wanted to go home. No one is blaming you for what happened, I promise." (Y/N) argued back.

"Yeah right..." Lapis scoffed, not believing a word that left her friend's mouth.

"I'm serious! Everything is ok now! The oceans are back to normal, Dad's rich so that's all good and you're not trying to attack us anymore." (Y/N) continued, determined to get Lapis to see the good in herself.

Lapis seemed lost for words for a moment. She placed her head in her lap and let out a frustrated groan. She glanced back at (Y/N) momentarily, the caring look in her eyes causing Lapis' defensive demeanour to drop ever so slightly.

"Even if what you say is true... these feelings won't go away. You, Steven, Peridot... You're all being so kind and I just don't deserve it. I just keep waiting for the moment when you all realise what a monster I really am..." Lapis mumbled, tears beginning to pool in her eyes.

"Is that why you took off? You're trying to leave us because you're scared of us leaving you?" (Y/N) slowly asked, each word being delivered with the utmost care. "I'm... I'm gonna admit something to you, something that I haven't really told anyone." (Y/N) started slowly, almost as if she didn't believe the words leaving her mouth. Lapis looked at her curiously, tears still brimming her eyes as she waited for the human girl to continue. "When I was younger, I absolutely hated my dad, I refused to even call him that. I was angry because I didn't know who I really was, and I took that out on him. Despite that, he kept trying, he was always there, always trying to be a good dad. It took a lot for me to finally realise how much he cared for me, and after I did, it took even more for me to feel like I deserved his love." (Y/N) admitted, looking absentmindedly at the horizon.

"I... I had no idea..." Lapis muttered, sparing a quick glance at the other girl who appeared to be lost in a world of her own. "You all seem so close and happy."

"We are." (Y/N) smiled, turning to look at her friend. "And you can be too, if you let yourself."

Silence fell over the two girls again, but this silence was different, this silence was comforting. The silence acted as a protective blanket over the two, keeping them separate from the outside world. The silence existed for many reasons, Lapis not knowing what to say and (Y/N) unsure of how to word her next sentence. The human girl exhaled a breath, reaching out and pulling Lapis into a hug.

"You may not be ready to accept it, Lapis, but you do deserve to be loved. You are loved... at least by me."

"Thank you..." Lapis mumbled, voice coming out mumbled from (Y/N)'s chest.

(Y/N) didn't respond with words, her tight hold on Lapis being enough. The two remained together, finding comfort and safety in each other's embrace. There were faint smiles on their faces as they looked out into the night sky. Stargazing in calming silence.

———————————————————

Pro tip: Chat GPT is actually really useful at providing feedback on your writing and suggestions on what you can add. It also comes up with cool prompts when you don't know what to write.

As usual I hope that you're all having a bloody amazing day/night/whatever time you're reading. You all better be getting enough sleep, drinking water and most of all staying positive.

That's all from me so I'll see ya later mates 😁