Part 37

Eddie

"I can't believe your back, it's been so long..." Dustin trailed off. He sat on the floor, and Steve and Eddie were snuggling on the couch. "Anyway, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?" Eddie grinned. Dustin gulped. "It's ok, it's not important..." he shifted uncomfortably. "Is it me? I can go stand outside if it makes you more comfortable." Steve offered. "Sure, if you're cool with it." The younger kid shrugged. "No problem, I'll be on the porch" Steve left the trailer.

"What's bothering you?" Eddie patted the now empty seat beside him, and Dustin scurried over to sit. Dustin and Eddie had grown closer over the last three years, and trusted each other with almost everything. "I...lately.." Dustin hesitated. Eddie squeezed his knee. "Take your time kid" Dustin smiled gratefully. "I don't know how to say this...but...I think I'm a girl." He looked at the ground. Eddie's eyes widened as he processed what his younger friend had just confessed.

"That's...that's awesome" he gasped. "Really?" Dustin looked up in shock. "Ya! So, do you have a name picked out?" Eddie's enthusiasm was contagious, and the younger kid grinned. "Not really, I was wondering if you'd help me pick one?" She said with a new found excitement.

Eddie completely forgot about Steve, still waiting on the porch, as they spent hours discussing names and gossiping and giggling.

Steve

After the first half an hour Steve considered knocking to remind them he was there, but thought better of it. Another half an hour passed, and he decided to take a walk around the trailer park. He got back, and the two were still talking. He explored the park's very shitty playground, and ended up just rocking back and forth on the creaky old swings. He was honestly afraid the thing might collapse under him. He got off the swings and made his way back to the porch. He sat down, his back leaning against the wall. He shut his eyes, a memory resurfacing behind his eyelids.

~Flashback~

"Number 0345, you have been charged with the crime of encouraging a riot. Verdict, guilty. Punishment, one month of isolation, followed by three months in the Black Room." The judge slammed down the hammer, and Steve winced. "Let's go!" A guard shoved him forward. He walked with his head down as the other inmates laughed at him. Finally, they came to a door at the end of the hall. The guard opened the door and pushed Steve into the room. He landed with a thud, and pain shot through his body from various places. A tear dripped down his cheek as the door clanked shut, followed by the sound of multiple locks clicking into place. He curled into a ball, sobbing Eddie's name. If only things had been different, if only he had fought a little harder...

~end of flashback~

Steve was jolted awake by Eddie shaking him. "Are you ok? You were crying in your sleep..." Eddie furrowed his brow. "ya, just a bad dream I guess." Steve shrugged. "Alright, let's go." Eddie helped Steve stand up. "We've got a lot to explain in the car."

Sry this chapter is short and kinda rushed, I hope you liked it. Have a good day :)