Part 23

Eddie

Eddie woke up to blinding light and beeping. He looked around, unsure of where he was. His vision cleared, and he realized he was in a hospital room. He sat up, gasping. He noticed Steve, asleep in an armchair on the other side of the room. The last thing he remembered was Steve calling his name, and everything hurt... "Stevie..." he called weakly. After a few seconds the other boy's eyes fluttered open. When he saw Eddie sitting up confused, his eyes widened and he sprinted across the room. "Eddie!" He sobbed, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend. "Ow." He winced as Steve hugged him tightly. "Sorry!" He pulled away, tears streaming down his face. "Why are you crying princess?" Eddie asked quietly, wiping a tear from his boyfriend's cheek. "The doctor said you probably weren't going to wake up! I thought I was going to lose you!" Steve hiccuped. "How long was I..." "3 weeks!! I really thought you were a goner" he whispered, placing kisses all over Eddie's face. "I'm ok Steve, I'm ok now" Eddie whispered back. Steve smiled, gently placing one last kiss on Eddie's forehead before leaving the room to find a doctor.

Steve

"When will he be able to go home?" Steve asked the doctor. It had been a few hours and Eddie had fallen asleep. "We'd like to keep him here for at least another few days for observation, and then he should be good to go," she said with a kind smile. "Cool, thank you" he smiled back. She nodded and went back to talking to another doctor. Steve had called Dustin and the party a little while ago, and now he noticed Mike and El walking towards him. "How is he?" Mike asked. "He's ok, I hope" Steve sighed. When the rest of the party showed up they all walked into the room together. Eddie was overjoyed when he woke up to the kids surrounding him in a group hug. Steve leaned against the door frame, a small smile on his face.

The past three weeks had been the hardest weeks of Steve's life. Physically he was fine, no broken bones, just cuts and bruises and a mild concussion. But Eddie on the other hand, had suffered an extensive head injury, and his brain had bled internally. Steve had watched him flat-line three times on the operating table and once in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Four times. Four times he'd watched his boyfriend die. Four times he'd almost lost him. He'd been excused from school, but still went anyway, to keep his mind off Eddie. After the accident, people stopped picking on him so much. They probably felt bad, but Steve didn't care. And now Eddie was awake. Alive. Charlie had come to visit him a couple of times, but he must have been intimidated by Steve, because he never stayed long. He'd also noticed Robyn had been distancing herself. She was talking to him less and less, and now her friends drove her to school everyday. She hadn't even visited Eddie in the hospital.  He was worried something was going on, but she refused to talk to him about it. He didn't want to lose her. He didn't want to lose anyone. Not again.

After the party left Eddie was exhausted, and Drifted asleep pretty quickly. Steve sighed sadly as he walked out of the room. But just as he was through the door he heard Eddie call his name quietly. He put his bag down and walked towards his boyfriend. "You should sleep Eds, you need your rest so you can come home" Steve whispered, gently tucking a strand of hair behind Eddie's ear. "Can you stay? Pretty please?" He asked. "Ok love, I can stay. Budge over" he crawled onto the bed beside Eddie, pulling his boyfriend closer to him. "I love you Stevie" Eddie buried his face in the crook of Steve's neck. "I love you too little punk. Don't ever do that to me again, 'kay?" I'll try my best," the smaller boy answered. The two boys fell asleep together, both just relieved to hold each other again.

Sry it took me so long to update, I was grounded from my phone 😭 anywhoo, no one died. yet. Have a good day :)