Part 16

Eddie

Another couple of weeks passed, and before long the first day of school rolled around. By now Eddie pretty much lived at Steve's place. Steve had even given him his own drawer in his dresser so he'd always have extra clothes there.
On the morning of senior year Eddie woke up with a splitting headache, which was just perfect. He'd reached toward Steve's spot on the bed, but found only emptiness. He sat up, confused. "Stevie?" He called. The smell of bacon and waffles hit his nose, and he smiled. He got out of Bed and changed into black ripped jeans and a band t-shirt. He swallowed an aspirin and walked down the stairs. "Morning sleepy head, eat fast, don't want to be late on our first day do you?" Steve slid a plate with bacon, waffles and scrambled eggs towards Eddie. "Thanks babe, but I don't care about my education" Eddie mumbled, shoving food into his mouth. Steve rolled his eyes.

After Eddie finished eating they got into his van and he drove them to Robyn's house. She ran to the vehicle like her house was on fire. "We... not want to be late!" She panted, climbing into the back. "We've got lots of time" Eddie looked at the clock on his dashboard, and realized they were in fact running out of time. "Hold tight!" He said, slamming his foot on the gas. He pulled into the parking lot just as the first bell rang.  "Rob, wait!" Steve yelled after Robyn, who was sprinting after the crowd of kids rushing into the school.  "See ya later" he said to Eddie, slamming the door behind him and Sprinting after his best friend. "Good luck, love you too babe, hope you have a good day as well" Eddie grumbled, getting out of the car as well. He strolled into the high school, already dreading another year in that hellhole.

He made it to his first class 7 minutes late. "Well, good to see you haven't changed one bit Mr.Munson" His English teacher greeted him as he plopped down at the only free desk left. "Always sir" he saluted the teacher, who rolled his eyes and went back to his lesson. "Eddie, right?" He jumped when his desk mate spoke. He hadn't even bothered to check who it was before he sat down. He turned to look at the kid beside him. "Unfortunately" he mumbled, studying the guy. He was small with fiery red hair and bright green eyes. Freckles dotted his nose and cheeks, and he wore small round glasses and a kind smile. If he wasn't with Steve, he'd say the kid was cute, maybe kinda nerdy looking, but cute nonetheless. "I'm Charlie by the way, Charlie Summer" he held out his hand for Eddie to shake it, but Eddie did a sideways high-five, which confused Charlie, but he thought it was cool.

Eddie didn't bother to pay attention to the lesson. Instead he thought about the way Steve had been paying less and less attention to him. He knew he sounded like a needy little girl, but he couldn't help but get jealous when Steve left Eddie home alone to go to parties, just to come home drunk and hungry. He usually kept his distance from Steve on nights like that, unsure if he should interfere. To be completely honest, he missed Steve, even though he was always there. He was lonely, even though he wasn't alone. And he knew once school started it would only get worse.

Lunch came around and Eddie stood in the center of the cafeteria, trying to find Steve in the crowd. Before he spotted Steve, he saw Charlie waving to him. He smiled and walked to the boy and his group. Might as well give them a chance. He noticed they all wore the same shirt, with a strange devil symbol and the words 'Hellfire club'. "Hey Eddie! Welcome to hellfire" Charlie grinned as Eddie sat down beside him.

Steve

Steve scanned the crowd for his boyfriend, but didn't see him. "Do you know where Eddie is?" He asked Robyn. "He said he'd join us for lunch, but I can't see him anywhere" "probably off smoking somewhere". Robyn shrugged as they sat at a table with a bunch of their friends. "Why would the freak sit with us?! Are you gay for him?!" A random boy spat, and everyone at the table laughed like it was the funniest joke they'd ever heard. "No... I was just joking. Why would I invite a freak to sit here?!" He laughed uncomfortably. Robyn gave him a look of disgust and turned away from him to talk to the girl beside her. Steve was really confused and hurt. Why would Robyn look at him like that, like she agreed with their jerk friends. Or maybe she was disgusted by the way he talked about his boyfriend. He hoped it was the second, and Robyn hadn't turned to the dark side suddenly. He wished his best friend would be on his side, like she always was.

He brushed it off and scanned the crowd again. His breath caught in his throat when he spotted his lover sitting at a table across the room. The table was filled with odd looking kids in matching shirts. Hurt filled his heart at the giant smile on Eddie's face. He'd only ever seen that smile when they were cuddling or doing something fun together. He'd always thought that smile was just for him, one that only he could bring out of his boyfriend. But now here he was, his special smile on his face, surrounded by people he barely knew.

Tear's caught in Steve's eyes, and he stood up from the table. "Where are you going?" Robyn asked. "Bathroom" he mumbled. He locked himself in a bathroom stall and cried for the rest of lunch. He knew it was stupid, crying over something as stupid as his boyfriend smiling at another person, but he also knew he'd been neglecting Eddie the past couple of weeks. Robyn kept inviting him to parties, and he couldn't say no, and he never intended to get drunk, but it just kept happening. Finally he stopped crying, and decided he was going to apologize to Eddie tonight when they got home. He was going to make Eddie smile if it was the last thing he did.

Hmm plot twists 🤔 I hope you like this chapter. Have a good day :)