30. Power

FREYA

Leaning against the cool glass of the bedroom window I look out at the rising moon.

I’ve never been scared of the moon before but now it is a ticking time bomb as it waxes closer and closer to fullness.

I spent five years watching my twin go into heat for Dante. It was the worst thing I’ve ever seen. How Eva would writhe and plead and beg for Dante, the scent of her desperate arousal, a by-product of the full moon, choking me in the room as I tried with every possible means to keep her cool.

Ice baths, pain killers, drugs, everything, and even when she was almost comatose from the pain and drugs, her body still oozed need for Dante. Her mate who was miles away and had no idea what he had done to her.

Gage knows exactly what he has done to me, and I know I will live the nightmare I saw my sister go through every full moon.

But there is hope.

My best solution is that Xander and Knox kill him first. Alternatively, there is an anti-heat drug that Neo has been developing at Crystal Moon. The first round of trials failed miserably. Eva’s current pregnancy is a result of that failure, but before I left Crystal Moon I heard that they had seen some good results. Right now I’m desperate enough to try anything.

Xander comes into the room followed by Knox.

“Angel you’re up. Are you hungry?” he asks sitting next to me on the window daybed.

Knox strokes my hair and I lean into his hand as Xander squeezes my calves. I’ll never get enough of the comfort they give me. I look at them both, my males. I feel so lucky to have them.

With every fiber of my being, I wish I had never gone to River Run. I wish I had run away and come back here. I have so many regrets. I blame myself for not being stronger, for listening to Neo instead of my heart. I should have seen through Gage, I should have fought harder.

“Hey. Whatever is going on in that beautiful head of yours, stop it.” Xander says seeing the myriad of expressions crossing my face.

Knox kisses my head.

“Love, we have something we need to ask you.” He says and lifts me up so he can slide me on his lap.

“Okay?” I lean against his chest.

“We want to announce you to the pack as our Luna. Now we know you can’t ascend formally until Gage’s claim is removed, until he is dead, but in order for us to take our wolves to war, they need to know why. We owe it to them and their mates to know what they are fighting for and why we ask this of them.”

Xander continues to rub my calves and my heart skips.

This is as real as it gets.

Wolves are going to die for me. Wolves that have mates and children.

“How can I ask them to die for me? I can’t. It’s not right.” I whisper.

Knox turns my face to his.

“What Gage did to you was not right. This is restoring what is right. There isn’t a wolf on this planet that does not understand that to hurt the pack’s Luna is to threaten the pack as a whole. You are our Luna. Not Gage’s. He lost that right the day you chose us. Our wolves will fight for you without question Freya. You are our pack’s future. That is what they will fight for.”

My heart cracks at Knox’s words. The fierceness I see burning in his eyes emboldens me when I don’t feel bold.

“Okay,” I whisper.