25. Gage

FREYA

“We’re almost there Freya.”

Sebastian’s voice wakes me up from my fixed thoughtless gaze out the window.

The last four-hour drive from Crystal Moon to Gage’s pack, River Run, has been a blind blur of trees and woodland. Each mile we travel a sinking ache in my stomach grows.

I feel dead inside.

I’ve spent the last three days crying and raging until there is nothing left inside me. I can’t bear to look at Neo since she Alpha ordered me not to contact Xander and Knox. How she found out about them I’m not sure, she won’t say and for the first time in my life, I feel like she’s keeping something from me.

“Thanks for driving me Sebastian, I know you didn’t want to leave Neo with the birth so close.”

Sebastian smiles.

“Not a problem Freya, I’ll be back home before dinner, we’ve got a couple of months left.” His smile is so joyous I can’t help but return it. His love for Neo and their baby is so pure. There’s something in the way he smiles when he talks about them that chokes me.

It makes me think of Xander and Knox.

Deep inside me, I know they care for me. It’s what makes everything hurt so much. I don’t understand why they haven’t even tried to call me.

The only thing I can think of is that they know about the trial. The news would have been everywhere in hours. They know Gage is still unmated. Maybe they have to also trial with the mate that rejected them. Either way their silence tells me everything. They let me go.

More than anything that hurts the most.

They didn’t even fight for me. They just let me go.

Sebastian takes a right off the highway down a nondescript dirt road. Typical of pack routes, winding through thickly wooded land until we reach a boom gate that is well guarded.

Two Epsilons dressed in black fatigues approach the SUV. I had hoped for a ride in Sebastian’s pimped-out truck but he never lets anyone in his truck except Neo.

“Your business?” The Epsilon asks with no trace of welcome in his serious gaze.

“Alpha Sebastian Kane and Freya Highwater here to see Alpha Gage. He’s expecting us.”

The guard nods, his eyes glazing over as he goes into mind link.

“Thank you, Alpha Sebastian. You can drop Miss Highwater here with us. Alpha Gage will be along to pick her up.”

Sebastian scoffs.

“Tell Gage I drop her off at the pack house personally or I take her back.”

The Epsilon walks away and I look at Sebastian quizzically. He shrugs.

“Gage has always been difficult to read. I’ve never got a handle on him. Remember, this is just a trial, if anything feels wrong, which I doubt will happen, link me or Neo, and we’ll come running okay?”

“Thanks, Sebastian,” I murmur nervously as the Epsilon waves us through.

Half a mile later we emerge from the woods which follow a wide rushing river to the pack house perched on a hill.

Another beautiful, large mansion but its modern architecture does not carry the antiquated homeliness of Crescent Ridge that I love. I’m biased I know, but everything in me rebels against being here so I’m predisposed to hating everything I see. Including Alpha Gage who stands on the porch front his hands thrust deep in his pockets.