Death & War

Ethan and Jay were calm. Way calmer than me. I didn't understand what Ethan meant when he said they were here for me. First off, who are "They" and what the fuck do they want with me? As I put my clothes back on and climbed off Jay I asked these questions, looking for answers from either brother.

Ethan looked at me and said" The vampires who don't agree with my father and his four sons agenda. They have other plans for the human and vampire interaction. They would much rather control the humans than let them live how they do now. They have searched for hundred of years for a crack or weakness in my family. They found one with my mother long ago, and came for her. Now they have found Jay's weakness with you."

"Ethan just calm the fuck down. What could they possibly be planning? They haven't come up with any new tricks in over 200 years. Same strategy every time, same ignorance, and same death." Jay wasn't acting nervous or scared for the impending fight, and if anything, Ethan was excited. War was ready for the fight, and Jay was ready for the death.

I looked out my window but saw nothing. No one in sight, no unusually out of place noises either. "So where are they Ethan? Where are they hiding?" I gestured to the window with the curtains pulled to the side. Jay stepped beside me and said, "They are coming, I can sense it. Different scents of vampire blood are on the breeze. They are not far, but they have slowed down."

I walked to the couch to lay down. It was well past sunset and the moon had begun to rise. I was becoming tired so I decided to rest my eyes, feeling safe in the presence of War & Death. I listened in to their conversation with NY eyes closed.

"Listen brother, I know you are not worried about whatever they are planning to do but I would advise you to be cautious. You have something to lose now, things are different. I suspect word has spread of Deaths little love affair with a human and that will be a major factor in manipulation.." Jay was silent for a moment in thought.

"I have thought of this Ethan but you've got to understand where I'm coming from. No one has ever won a challenge against death. I am the only brother who can say this to be true. Even father has had to submit before. At least that's what I hear from the times before my birth. I am not scared or worried. If you think even for a second I would let anything at all happen to Nic you are sorely mistaken."

I heard Jay settle back into the couch beside me and he rested his arm on my folded legs. I look forward to proving you wrong. "Your problem Jay is your ego. It has taken over. You are no longer cautious. If you are not careful, it will be your downfall."
I drifted off to sleep to the quiet conversation of Death and War. It was a comforting sound.

I awoke sometime later, Ethan and Jay were nowhere to be found. It was quiet. Too quiet for me so I sat up and listened harder. All the lights were out in the house and I crept over to a window. Both brothers were pacing on the front porch. Still no signs of this imminent attack. I began to let my guard down.

Maybe Ethan was over reacting. If the vampires waiting to ambush had not struck yet, would they even try. Maybe seeing both Death and War at my house had made them second guess their decision. I walked into the kitchen ready to pour myself a drink and tried to flip the kitchen light on. It wasn't working so I figured the bulb had blown. I knew very well where I kept the whiskey so I made my way over to pour a glass and noticed the back porch sliding door was cracked open. I poured a glass and decided to step out.

One of the brothers must have left the door ajar on their creeping mission so I didn't think twice about it. I opened the door just a bit further, enough for my body to quietly slip outside and I stared at the black night sky. Stars twinkling and the crescent moon shining proud. I was still looking up and did not hear the silent footsteps of a female approach. She came from nowhere and was already way too close. I jumped back and almost dropped my glass. She whispered into the darkness, "so this is deaths new whore.... we have been waiting for you." And in a split second she crashed her fist into my nose and darkness enveloped me.

I remember coming to only long enough to realize I was being carried, slung over the females shoulder as she ran with all her might through the forest. She came to a clearing with a car waiting. As she stuffed me into the trunk I will never forget the roar echo through the forest. It was a beast. An angry beast who had just discovered they had been bested. Another roar rang out, closer this time, but we were already speeding away.

Ethan had been right. War knew the tactics of battle well and he had warned Jay of his mistake. Death was too proud to admit he could be taken for a fool. It's true his power and strength were unmatched. His ability to deal Death to whomever he chooses for whatever reason had made him complacent. And now he would pay for his miscalculation.

I didn't know how long we had been driving but my stomach was beginning to grumble with hunger. I was thirsty too. If I had to guess I would say we were in transit for six, maybe seven hours before we came to a stop. The trunk opened and a beautiful blonde vampire looked down on me. I had dried blood all over my face and my shirt. She leaned forward and inhaled deeply.

"I can smell why Death was so enamored with you. Your scent is unique and I'm sure it tastes lovely." I got my courage up and spoke, " Well bitch too bad for you no other vampire can bite me. I have the mark of death on my arm."

She laughed and said, "who said anything about biting? If we cut you, will you bleed? Tasting the mark of death in your blood won't bother us one bit." I swallowed hard and figured she had a point. She picked me up to standing and I saw we were in a vacant lot, the only thing for miles was an old abandoned warehouse where not a god damn thing good could happen. I was fucked..... thoroughly fucked.