Mr. Mysterious

I turned quickly snapping out of my stupor. After all I was here to work not stare, even though I had a great view. Going back to the main nurses station I picked up the next file and tried to prepare myself for what may come. Reading the list of ailments on this patient had me pretty convinced it was a simple case. This lady had a pretty nasty burn on her wrist likely from an oven or grill. I went to collect her from the waiting room and Mr. Mysterious was now standing and still staring. And he was tall. I am 5 ft. 6 and he would easily look down on me, standing over 6ft he was looming around the exit. 

I began to get curious and as soon as I had my current patient settled in her room waiting for the doctor I took it upon myself to approach this mystery man... see what ails him on this moonless night. As I approached him he did not look away, and neither did I. I stepped closer to him and took a deep breath, "excuse me sir, have you checked in yet?"  His eyes were as green as a forest in spring. The deepest, brightest green I had ever seen.

He continued to stare and had the audacity to drag his eyes down my body and back up in a slow manner. Back to my eyes his gaze returned and this time I saw something more. The  dark eyes of a fiend. One searching for a crutch, a lifeline, something to help pull back from whatever dark hole they were lost in.  Yes he was a fiend alright, and I got the eerie feeling I was the drug. He had picked his poison, and it just happened to be me.

I looked at him and he didn't appear to have any obvious signs of injury, but as I looked closer at his left arm I saw blood had stained his sleeve and was almost dry. "Are you here to get this looked at?  If you roll up that sleeve I'd be happy to take a look." He slowly moved his sleeve and I saw a deep gash that could use a few stitches.  I watched him closely examine his arm, his dark hair had fallen over his forehead and into his eyes. The angle only made his chin sharper and face more defined. He looked up and casually cocked his head to the side which moved the hair from his eyes. "My name is Jameson, but most people just call me Jay."  I silently wondered if he tasted as good as Jameson Irish whiskey going down... bet he tastes better.  "Well Jay", I said with a smile, "my name is Nicole. It's nice to meet you."

My shift ended in about 30 min but the least I could do it get him set up in a room in line for the doctor before I called it a night. "Follow me Jay, let me get you to a room. " I turned and started walking past the nurses station to the first vacant room. I heard no footsteps but when I turned around he was directly behind me, close enough we almost crashed into each other with my abrupt stop. He took one step back, putting distance between us and relieving the issue of close proximity. I gestured to the open door of the vacant room. "You can have a seat right inside here. Can I ask you a few questions before the doctor comes in?" He nodded his head yes so I proceeded to do the usual questionnaire we ask all our new patients.

 I then took his blood pressure, which was extremely low, then took his temperature.  He was cool but not too bad.  I wrote everything down and looked at him. "Well that will be about it for me. The doctor should be in soon to help with those stitches.  I turned to walk away but something made me turn back. "I could have sworn you had green eyes. They look dark brown now... closer to black. Am I crazy or just tired."  He looked at me and said, "You are right Nicole. When I first arrived my eyes were green, and yes they are black now." I just looked at him " So not crazy, but definitely too tired." "Umm, Nicole? I really don't think I need anything, in fact, I'm second guessing even coming here. It's just a small cut and now that the bleeding has stopped I think I'm good to go....." "Don't be ridiculous Jay it's no trouble. This can be stitched up fairly quickly and then we will have you on you way. Are you just passing through? I don't believe I've ever seen you around here. If you are just passing through and looking for a quick drink before you hit the road, there is a pretty sweet little tavern right down the road called Tally's.  We all go there when we are looking for some cheap drinks and good company."

He stood looming over me and took a long deep drag of air. Like a man who had just surfaced after a long dive, reveling in the cool crisp air filling his empty lungs. " I was just passing through, but I believe I'll be in town a bit longer now".