Seeing Double

Jay and I were curled up on my couch with two glasses of whiskey. It was around 10pm and we were just getting ready to call it a night when someone knocked on my door. I was super surprised because this never happens to me. I knew it wasn't Georgia so I had no idea who else it could have been.  

Jay was up in a second walking over to the door.

I stayed on the couch. I heard the door open and Jay stepped out and closed the door behind him. I was curious now. I put my cup down on the table and walked slowly to the door. I heard two male voices in conversation and then Jay started to get loud. 

I opened the door and Jay moved to the side. I looked at the man standing on my porch. He looked almost identical to Jay except he was stacked. He stood about 2 inches taller than Jay and was wearing some jeans and a tight t-shirt. My eyes trailed from his shoes up his legs and lingered a little too long on his massive chest and arms. My eyes moved to his face and I caught a brief sight of bright green eyes before they darkened to pitch black, just like Jay's. He stepped closer to me and breathed in the air around me. He tilted his head upward and exhaled slowly, then came back down to lock eyes with me. 

"You smell divine sweetheart. What's your name?" 

I stuttered at his rich accent. He had a bit more of a southern drawl than Jay. And I was momentarily stunned silent. Jay moved fast to stand in front of me closely and stare into my eyes.

"Nicole you better fucking snap out of it. I can smell you and I don't like what I'm picking up on. This is my brother, Ethan." He stepped aside. "Ethan this is my mate, Nicole."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance Nicole." He reached out for my hand and I took it. He raised it to his mouth, kissed it and turned it so he could smell my wrist."

"Well don't you smell as sweet as a magnolia in May. Jameson, I can see why you been holed up here in the mountains."

Jay pushed Ethan back and faced off with him. "Ethan keep your God damn hands off her can't you see I've chosen her. She is mine and you'd do well to remember that!"

"Jay calm down, it's your brother!" I said. "Ethan please come in and have a drink with us. Do you like whiskey?"

"What else is there, princess? That's all I drink. That and blood."

He smiled a beautiful smile in my direction and slid past Jay. 

"Lead the way."

Jay pushed passed him and hovered over me protectively all the way to the kitchen. He grabbed a cup before I could reach it and poured his brother a drink and handed it to him.

"Ethan, how did you find us? And more importantly what do you want?"

"Your not hard to find little brother. Went to the club, watched the footage of you killing two poor bastards, saw you with a woman. Did a little digging and bam! Here I am. After 300 years you doubt my tracking skills? I am War, tracking my prey is what I do well."

War, the third born Cain and one of three older brothers to my Jay took a sip of his whiskey. Jay was starting to look uncomfortable. 

"Now, why are you here?"

"You've been summoned little brother. I have a vampire clan that has pushed their boundaries. They have been sentence to death. So you go to Texas, wrangle them up, kill them in whatever fashion you so desire, then your work is done."

"Hell no. You can do all that on your own, you don't need me to do that! What the fuck Ethan?"

"Not my call little brother. Dad wants you. He wants death. He wants you to use this platform to show everyone you haven't lost it. He wants to remind them who you are. You have been silent for too long. They are beginning to think you are weak. And from the looks of what I'm seeing right now, he looked directly at me, they are not wrong."

"I'll go with you babe! I ain't ever been to Texas! We can make a trip of it!"

Both brothers looked at me like I had just spoke a different language.

" You cannot go with me Nic, it's too dangerous, and I don't want you to see me that way." 

I heard Ethan clear his throat right before he started to speak. " Nicole, its much too dangerous for a human to follow as deaths shadow.  You must understand, what Jameson does best is kill. He is not supposed to have a weakness.  If they learn he has developed one, they will come for death by coming for you.  Its best you stay behind. I will stay with you while Jay is gone. It shouldn't take Jay more than three days time. He will be back before you know it."   

"See this is the part where I show both you assholes how wrong you are about me. Just who the fuck do you think you are coming in here to my house, telling my man he has to go to Texas for a few days but not to worry because you will stay behind to protect me? Listen boys, I don't need to be protected, and Jay I don't give a fuck if you don't want me to see you that way. I will love you at your absolute fucking worst, your most diabolical, most wretched moments of your life.  I don't just want the good Jay, I want the bad Jay too."  Jays face went from solemn and eyes wide to a splitting smile.

I am proud of my choice. I am proud of Jay. Why wouldn't I be? How could I not be? Yea he's crazy but so am I. We are twin flames burning together in the night. I just pray the old saying isn't true.....

The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long~ Lao Tzu.