A Vision of What Could Be

I was very glad I had sent in my request for 5 days of paid time off on my bus ride back from Charlotte. I had about 4 weeks accumulated so it was nice to finally have an excuse to use them. I also charged my phone for the first time in days and saw many missed texts from Georgia. I sent her a quick "Yes I'm still alive." I was notorious for falling off the grid so as soon as she learned I was ok she should be fine.

"Jay do you have a phone? Or any other responsibilities you have abandoned in these past few days?"

"Nope, no phone. And fuck all my responsibilities. I have been a slave to my father for decades. He can let me sit out of the game for awhile. I have no desire to leave."

We sat in my kitchen together eating some sandwiches Jay had made. I learned he doesn't necessarily need human food to live but enjoys eating it and can still get nutrients from it. I had made some lemonade and we both poured a second glass as we went to sit on the porch together.

I began to drift in my mind, to visions of Jay and I living together like this. Doing normal things and enjoying each other's company. We grew to learn each other's habits over the next few days. I learned Jay rarely slept but he always stayed watch holding me close when I did. We woke up early two mornings in a row to watch the sunrise.

I learned the myth of vampires melting in the sun was just that, a myth. They were predators of the night. This explains why most vampire human attacks happened at night. They were nocturnal predators. They did not enjoy the sun as much as humans but it would not melt them or burst their bodies into flames.

I asked about Jay's parents and learned they were both alive and well, traveling about the world at their leisure, leaving the boys to manage the states. Jay managed most of the South while one brother took the West. The other brothers took the north and mid country along with Texas. If need be they would form a collective front but this barely happened anymore as most of the trouble makers had left the county or followed the rules. It sounded like things for Jay and his brothers had been quiet for some years now, leading them to become bored and try their luck at other things. Mainly making money for the family.

Jay learned my parents were dead and I was an only child. My parent too had both been only children so I had no cousins I knew of. Both my maternal and paternal grandparents had died long ago leaving me alone in the world. I envied Jay for being able to have a large family to enjoy for 300 years. I couldn't imagine.

I had grown used to the silence. No phone ringing or surprise visitors stopping in to check on me. No holidays or birthdays to celebrate. No one to piss off or disappoint. I had grown hard over the years. I cared for very few people and I liked it that way. I had little to no sympathy for others, but I guess that was to be expected. Most normal human interaction between family I was devoid of. I made my own way. In my mind it was not a problem. I had nothing left to love, therefore I had nothing left to lose.

Jay took supreme pity on me and promised I would never be alone again. Birthdays, holidays and every day in between I would have Jay there to fill the void. That dependency that I could potentially grow for Jay wasn't all that appealing to me. When you value something that much it can become your downfall. I was conflicted to say the least. One part of me wanted to believe Jay, the other wasn't quite ready to be so dependent on him.

"Have you ever turned a human?"

Jay raised one eyebrow and looked at me. No. But I've seen it done by my brothers many times. I know how to take someone to the brink of death and pull them back. That's pretty much it. Drain until nothing remains, then a significant amount of vampire blood. Works like a charm every time.

"So that's what you want to do to me?"

"Eventually yes. I can't bear the thought of losing you. You will be my first and my last. I have many characteristics that will be passed to you through the change. You will have my strength, my will power and most importantly the power to take life as you see fit. I am an expert at death. I am death. You will be my lover, my mate, my partner and one day if you will have me, my wife."

"Your wife huh? You just dove right in with that one. I'm no bride. I don't want to get married, it's not my style. I'd rather do the Kurt and Goldie so I can get outta there if I need to without going to court for a year and a half."

"Your heartless as fuck Nic. I love it. Whatever you desire I can do. As long as I have you by my side I will be at ease. But if you ever leave me, just know I will track you to the ends of the earth."

"Well don't do shit to make me want to run."

"I promise."

"Kiss me you ruthless heathen" He scooped me up and kissed me hard. We were a good match.

Both stubborn and stupid. Willing to risk and lose it all for each other. This sounds like my type of adventure and I was excited for it to start.....ready to see where it would go.