55. Levi?

Spring Break Part 6

Zoey slept soundly last night. She stirred a bit but mostly kept close to me. And now, I was gazing at her at she slept, facing me.

Her face appears peaceful, her cheeks slightly pink, and her lips slightly parted. As I watch her, my eyes drift around her face. I take in her pale, smooth skin, the curve of her nose, and the way her eyelashes curl gracefully over her closed eyes.

Memories of last night flood my mind, and I remembered how Zoey had been crying in my arms. I had stayed up with her all night, just stroking her hair and holding her until she fell asleep. I worried about her, and I know that she must be going through a tough time, whatever she was crying about.

As I stared at her, I couldn't help but think about how much I cared for her. She's been there for me so many times. Taking my drunk ass to her house for the night after the party, helping me with the project, listening to me rant on about mom and dad, and now, I want to be there for her too. I needed to be. There's an unspoken connection between us that I could never quite explain. Ever since the day she stood at the front of Ms. Brown's class as the new girl, I felt that something was always there, even if I didn't feel it at the time. Because I feel it now, and the signs were there all along. And I'm not sure where it's going or what it means, but I know that I want—

Suddenly, Zoey's eyes fluttered open, and her expression was full of curiousness. She met my gaze, and I felt my heart skip a beat. Her doe eyes were wide and bright, and they seemed to be searching for something in me. Maybe she could feel my stares for a long time. But all I did was reach my hand out to caress her face, tracing the tips of my finger along her forehead and my thumb on her cheek. Her gaze downcasted as I did it, brushing some hair behind her ear, I heard her let out a comfortable breath through her nose.

When she opened her eyes again, we stared for a moment. I could see the pain in her eyes, lingering behind them. Her hand slithering into mine, intertwinning out fingers, she squeezed it. We stayed like that for a while, holding each other's hands, not mouthing anything but just being present. I wanted to help her, to take away her pain, but I know that it was not something that I could do. Yet, it was comforting to have her close to me, to feel the warmth of her palm, to know that I could offer her something, even if it was just a shoulder to cry on.

The silence between us is comfortable, and I felt my eyes drift toward her lips. I've always found her beautiful, but in this moment, as she looked into my eyes, pain and vulnerability in them, realized she was even more gorgeous to me.

Wow.

I felt myself inch to her, being drawn in like a moth attracted to light. But I don't kiss her. I rested my forehead on hers, our eyes never looking away. The scent of her, flowers, was so strong. So good. She let go of my hand and touched my jaw, running her fingers along my stubble I didn't get to shave last night, and she kept it there.

A breath escaped her mouth as if...she...

"L–" I swallowed, waiting patiently as she tried to speak and what came out was a breathy voice with a hint of a high pitch, "Levi..." I listened as she kept trying, pushing herself to form something, anything. It must've been so long since she's actually wanted to speak fully. As the years had past, maybe her voice has gradually went away.

"Le..." her voice sounding strained, dry, "...vi," she managed. I nodded, waiting. It was hard though, watching her as she struggled to form words. Even my name seemed hard for her to say. "Thank...you."

I didn't react because she leaned in before I could, pressing her lips onto mine. I kissed back. My heart began to race as she moved closer, and for a moment, we were lost in each other, feeling as if it was magic. Forgetting everything else because this...this felt so right, so natural.