15. You can bite me

The Field Trip part 2

Oh.

Zoey:
And my dad isn't answering me

I need them to sleep

Otherwise, I won't

Me:
You won't?

Not even a little?

Zoey:
I'll sleep but mostly keep waking up

Me:
Is there anything I can help with?

Zoey:
No

I don't think so

Me:
Want me to talk to your dad?

Zoey:
No, Levi

I'll just have to deal with it I guess

Me:
How badly do you need them?

Zoey:
The night can get pretty eventful if I don't take them

Me:
Eventful?

Zoey:
I could scream a lot

From the nightmares

I wanted to know what she dreamt about but that's none of my business. It could be a personal matter, anyway.

Zoey:
It's fine, Levi

I'm sure I'll make it

Me:
Have you ever had a good night's sleep without them?

Zoey:
No

But I'm just gonna have to deal with it

I looked up at her and saw the sadness in her eyes. She met mine and I gave her a pity grin.

She turned off her phone and got off the floor before offering me a hand. Not taking it, I stood up by myself.

She stared up at me as she mouthed, "thank you," and walked past me and to her bed, only to grab the jacket.

Giving it to me, I gave her a friendly grin before letting myself out.

And ... the jacket smelling like fresh flowers again.

I feel like she was exaggerating a bit about her nights of sleep without the pills.

She screams. And a lot? No. I don't think that's possible.

*****

"Heard we are! Ed's Sandwich Shop!" Mr. Keller announced with excitement. "Everyone, stay together when we get into the shop. Behave, let people through. Please just pick what sandwich you want and move on, me and Ms. Young are paying for everything."

I stood in the back as everyone else walked into the shop. So did Zoey. Which was okay, I guess. Brady was hanging out with Louis and Mack upfront. It didn't bother me yet I wondered why he would do that without me.

Zoey was staying close to the point where I had to tell her to take a step back. Getting clingy after I hugged her. Great.

Since we were in the back, we got time to actually decide what we wanted and of course, Zoey asked me to order for her. She texted me what she wanted and I gave her a thumbs-up, and then averted my eyes from her. They lingered around the room, seeing the busy people making sandwiches upfront and yelling if they were out of something.