38. Lick, lick

The Carnival Date part 1

I cast my eyes among the people of the carnival, figuring out where to go first.

Booths were set up with glowing and blinking lights hanging above the openings with big stuffed animals already catching the eyes of kids as they walked by.

Groups of new people were entering quickly after, filling the open spaces on the ground. Most looked our age, and others were families with loud, screaming children, pulling their parents' arms or running ahead and away from them. And this was happening all around us, groups entering from all sides, making it harder to decide on where to go where we can not get run over.

Zoey was tugging my hand, pulling me to go into the crowds again when I stopped her.

She gave me confused eyes when I tried to tell her no. But I couldn't.

Keep her happy.

Waving it off, Zoey resumed pulling and I went along with it. I was engulfed by the crowds within seconds after letting her take the lead.

I didn't know where we were going, but Zoey seemed determined on getting to her destination.

We scooted past people, while I said, excuse me, pardon me, many times since Zoey was pushing through them without a care and a sense of being polite.

And when there was an opening, she began to run and pull me along with her.

She looked back at me, smiling, showing her perfect teeth as her eyes sparkled from the colored lights. Her hair flowed and got ragged around as she ran, bouncing off her head. My cheeks blushed when I saw that she was too, feeling myself become hot.

She's happy.

She was the only thing I could focus on despite the inaudible noises of murmurs and kids, laughing, and crown music.

With her eyes, smile, and light shade of pink on her soft skin, she looked pretty tonight.

When we finally stopped running, we appeared to be in front of the gravitron. A ride that I've always never liked, especially if I just ate food. I wonder what'll happen on an empty stomach.

She leads the way to the surprisingly small line, and we soon are loading on the ride after a large group of kids spilled out as we walked up. After giving the frontman the required amount of tickets, we stepped up into the ride and walked around the middle controllers, finding an empty side as other people filled the empty panels, walking into the enclosed starship.

I leaned against the slightly slanted padded wall, already not feeling good about the headache I'm gonna have after this. I felt a hand grip mine and I glanced down at Zoey, smiling and chirpy. Excited for the ride, which I should be too.

The frontman that grabbed our tickets came to the middle and locked himself in. I could see through the thick glass him pressing all those buttons and pulling down a lever, then proceeding to count down while showing his fingers.

"Three!"

Zoey's eyes were glued to his fingers. Smiling from ear to ear, squeezing my hand.

"Two!"

I moved my hand a little for our fingers to intertwine, "One!" and felt her eyes on me when the ride started to rotate at high speed. Getting faster by the second. My body felt like it was being pressed against the wall, sinking into the padding.

Some people began to cheer at the speed, letting the man know they wanted it to go faster. He listened and soon people began moving around against the pads, turning themselves to be lying upside down.