21. I don't think we can be friends

The Field Trip part 8

We, right now, were back at the motel, sitting as a class in the lounge area, making our signs for the city's parade protest.

Zoey and I were sitting together but kind of away from everyone. There was a lot of talking, mixed with shouting and cursing, so I thought it'd be better if we moved to the side. For my sake, obviously.

Ms. Young said we could make our signs about anything and that the protest isn't about a specific thing. I've already seen some signs being made regarding women's rights, civil rights, black lives matter, and others like that.

Individually, Zoey and I worked on our signs in peace and I would glance at hers from time to time, seeing as it improves with one color being added after another.

And mine, well, mine was ok. It could use some character but I don't really care. We were only going to do the protest for a couple of hours and no one is probably going to have time to read mine. Mine is vague compared to hers, saying:

WE NEED A CHANGE

Clever, I know. I'm so unique. No, I'm kidding, can't you tell?

Zoey's though, is very good because it's ironic.

I WILL NOT BE SILENCED

Huh. I like it.

I glanced up at her as she added more color to the corners.

She looked happy. Occupied. Focused. I didn't want to ruin that.

But my head is starting to hurt a little from the marker earlier. Damnit. How could I be so stupid? I sniffed the marker for her. Now I have pain.

I dropped my marker to rub my temples, remembering it always helped me when I was little before doing the pressure points in my hand. My head was already feeling the tightness and began to have a sharp pain on the sides. But I was doing my best at the moment, to make it go away.

With Zoey still coloring, I got up and asked to use the bathroom. When my request was granted by Ms. Young, I ventured off.

While in there, I splashed water on my face as well as drank it. Not the best tasting water, yes, but it is all I've got right now that would suffice. I dried off my hands and was about to exit when someone came in, not to use the bathroom but to specifically stop me from leaving.

"Hey man, whatcha doing?" I asked him, calmly, as he backed me up to one of the sinks. I tested my hands on the edge.

"I don't know, whatchu doing?" He said with an icy tone, making my eyes flutter, he spat in my face.

"Just using the bathroom, man. You know, cuz that's what it's for," I joked. "Hey, it's been a while since we talked—"

"Yeah, it has." He said, vaguely.

I, for some reason, gulped. "Uh— how's your leg?"

"It's fine, Levi."

"Oh. That's good. You seem to be walking on it pretty good."

"Well, the doctor said I could walk but still can't drive." He admitted and I secretly frowned. I thought I was done being a chauffeur.

"Damn, well, that's okay," I reassured him.

"Yeah," he then heaved out a sigh, rubbing his eyes. "Listen, dude," he looked at me, "I don't care if you're dating the deaf girl," he paused. I wanted to correct him but was too focused on his words.

Why did he pause? Is there going to be a but, please don't be a but—

"But," fuck, "I feel like you're spending too much time with her. I mean, yeah, she's on this trip too but what about hanging out with me and Louis and Mack tonight? Mack brought some booze, Louis's got some blunts in his bag." He offered, cheerfully.