28. F*ck off, Campbell

I had a lump in my throat while I got onto the highway. I relaxed my grip around the steering wheel and loosened my shoulders, listening to Brady talk.

"Yeah, apparently, he charged at the girl and then got pulled back. I'm surprised I didn't hear it in the cafeteria, but then again, I couldn't really hear much since Louis wouldn't shut up the whole fucking time," he inferred.

My brows twitched, "Huh, how weird."

"Rumors were going around saying Mack might get suspended, I wonder how that's gonna play out," Brady chuckled deep within his chest while he typed on his phone.

We came to a stop and it stayed quiet. No talking, no shared looks. Just plain old awkward silence. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding when the light turned green and smoothly drove off.

I could feel his eyes staring as I made a right. "Where were you?" He abruptly asked.

"Uh," come on, say something influencing, "the library."

Stillness goes by and Brady asks merely, "Why?"

With a controlled smile, I glimpsed his way, "I wanted to work on the poem project, that's all." Fuck. What am I, a possessed doll?

Brady faced forward as we neared the center, effecting me to overthink what he could say.

I know what you're hiding. You were with her. I knew it all along. What are you, her boyfriend or some shit?

Brady cracked up, making me stiffen a bit. "Alright, nerd," he joked, exiting the car before he turned, "oh, by the way, my dad's picking me up after today so you can go." He told me.

Go?

Wait, why am I complaining?

I slowly nodded, "Oh... cool."

"Yeah, anyway, see you tomorrow," he said before slamming the door and going up the stairs to the therapy building.

I drove off quickly, not wanting to wait until he got inside and drove him.

I felt bad.

I'm lying to him.

It doesn't feel right.

At all.

It feels unsettling like I have a rock in the pit of my stomach.

Doesn't matter though. He's gone. I'm going home.

Yet... I'm going home... to a not-so-well-put-together family.

A splitting family.

My mom said he'd be packing so I won't be surprised if I see...

Yep, I knew it.

When I pulled up to my driveway, I had to park on the street because my dad had his truck in my spot. I saw him. He was packing boxes into the bed while my mom was helping out.

"Hey Dad," I called from the street, leaving my car. My dad didn't say anything really, just gave me a chin wave and continued to pack. He began to tie down some boxes and I offered to help but he said he had it. I didn't push and left him alone.

I found my mom when I turned the corner to go to the front door, she was leaning on the doorframe, arms folded over her chest. She grinned my way as I approached.

"So..." I stopped and shoved my hands in my unnecessarily deep men's jean pockets. I balanced on my heels as I looked at the ground and gradually peered up at her. "It's happening?"