20. Put the marker down!

The Field Trip part 7

Now that I think about it, I don't know a thing about Zoey personally.

She doesn't like her mom, I know that, occasionally, she rages, she often goes to therapy, she wasn't born deaf, she's an only child and, for her nightmares, she takes sleeping pills.

And yet, for all of those, there are no 'becauses'. Instead, there are only facts without explanations.

She refused to talk to me about her dream too. Does that mean anything? Is that something that she would discuss with her therapist? Do I not seem to be a close friend to her?

Do we even have an emotional connection? Not really. Maybe it's just me wanting to be closer to her physically.

All these unanswered questions in my mind are going to drive me insane, slowly. But I must not push, for Zoey needs space and I'm somewhat crowding her unknowingly.

I need to calm down. This isn't about me. This is about her... and what I need to do to get the information out of her! Gently, of course.

Today, Mr. Keller and Ms. Young, have brought our class, out of the kindness of their hearts, to New Hill's Office Supply Store, telling us that we can pick out five markers of our choice each to make our signs for the protest tomorrow.

And just by standing in the parking lot, waiting for everyone to get off the bus, I could already tell how oddly excited Zoey was to be here.

Maybe she just likes these types of stores.

I didn't pay attention to her but more to the people staring. Brady.

I had a feeling he was going to give me crap about something regarding Zoey. We haven't talked in what feels like ages.

He may still feel guilty about not telling Mr. Keller, he forgot us at the cultural parks yesterday.

Or maybe he is giving me space — but why?

Maybe Mack told him something. Made up a rumor.

Either way, I feel like it's been a while since we talked. I do want to talk, I would right now but someone would follow me, and perhaps that person would become the reason for the conversation happening.

He eyed me when he got off the bus then continued to talk with Louis and Mack.

And Louis. I kind of forgot about him being here. I forgot about everyone who was on this trip too. I've been, I guess, distracted.

Every one of my thoughts has been about Zoey.

Zoey, Zoey, Zoey.

All about Zoey, all the time.

What's happening to me?

It's been Zoey this, Zoey that. Everything has been about her and not—

"Campbell." A familiar annoying voice came into my hearing, I glanced over to see Lexi, standing beside me on my right, while Zoey was on my left.

"Washington." I greeted her in the same tone I've always used, Stern and deep. But she didn't return the tone. Now that I looked at her she seemed sad.

"Can I hang out with you and your girlfriend?" She asked and I stood there surprised as fuck.

"First of all, she's not my girlfriend, okay? Second, wouldn't you rather hang with Louis, your buddy?"

"He's not my buddy. He's annoying and selfish." Said Lexi, sounding fatigued and irate. "Can I accompany you until we get back to the motel?"

I bit the inside of my cheeks, wanting to get run over by a car. I was reminiscing about all the insults she has said to me and how many times I've wanted to give her a five-star right in the nose.