Bonus Chapter 1

I can't get over them, guys!!!!

LUCKNOW, 1956

Dear Asif,

I am proud of you for taking up the older woman's case. You are still learning, yet you dared to take up the poor widow's case. I will pray that you win this. God is with those who help others. It's been a few months, since we are talking so freely, and getting to know you better is a delight. I am honored to be your friend.

Do tell me the outcome of the case.

On a lighter note, my cousin Preethi, and her husband is from Lucknow, Brijesh. He says the tehzeeb of the place is out of this world, such sweet people. She was also complimenting the famous Paans. You should try it. It seems interesting. And tell me your opinion, I really want to know.

Yours,

Anahita

Asif folded the parchment and looked up at his reflection in the mirror. A soft melody played from the gramophone.

Ankhon hi ankhon mein ishaara ho gaya

Baithhe baithhe jeene ka sahaara ho gaya

His smile grew. He could imagine her writing to him, her every expression. It has been a few months as she rightly stated, yet she has housed in his heart. The way she talked to him, in a mature and encouraging manner, made him emotionally dependent on her.

Gaate ho geet kyon, dil pe kyon haath hai

Khoye ho kis lie, aisi kya baat hai

Ye haal kab se tumhaara ho gaya

His letter to Nausheen mostly goes blank, but with Anahita, there was always something to share, something to talk about. Asif let out a breath, leaning back in the chair. He re-read her words. Then, looked at a small ivory casket that contained her letters. It amazed him, why did he save these letters?

Chalate ho jhum ke, badali hai chaal bhi

Naino men rng hai, bikhare hai baal bhi

Kis dilaruba ka najaara ho gaya

But was this right? His heart was leading him on an uncertain road. Anahita was his sister's best friend, a naïve and impressionable seventeen-year-old. Also, she didn't belong to the same community as him. This wasn't going to end well. This attraction, this pull was dangerous. A heartbreak was eminent.