9 • Old Scars & New Friendship •

❝Nain Mile Nain Huye Baaware

Nain Mile Nain Huye Baaware

Chain Kaha Mohe Sajan Saanvare

Nain Huye Baaware, Nain Mile Nain Huye Baaware ❞ 

-Taarana (1951)

"You know my favorite actor. But who is yours?"

"Madhubala. It is a beautiful coincidence that our favorites might be a real-life couple."

"Yes, so?" She had pretended to sound unmoved.

Anahita smiled shyly recollecting her recent talk with Asif. He had come to hand her some more novels from Nausheen. They were hidden amongst textbooks. Unknown to him, as well.

Dekhte Hi Dekhte Main Kho Gayi

Jagte Hi Jagte Main So Gayi

Ab Kabhi Main Jagna Na Chaahun Re, Nain Huye Baaware

She admired her favorite actor's autograph that he had slipped in between the books. It was a delightful surprise.

"Who was he, Annie? I have seen him before, too." Dhani interrupted her.

Without looking up from the signed photograph in her hand, Anahita answered, - "Nausheen's elder brother Asif."

She looked up and noticed Dhani. She stared dreamily at the canopy of the poster bed.

"Oh, someone is having a crush on him." Anahita teased her friend, wiping the silly smile from her face.

Dhani became serious again, - "What are you saying, Annie? I am a servant girl and I can't afford to have any such crushes. It will be heart-break for sure." She played with one of her pig-tail braids.

Anahita sat up on the bed, flipping her loose braid behind her, - "Don't say like that, Dhani. You work here, but first, you are a human."- She placed her hands on her hips, glaring at her. Dhani lowered her head, twirling the edge of her cotton white dupatta.