50 • Dukh ke ab din beetat naahi! •

Visiting Ambika's place for the second time was much more awkward than the first

Visiting Ambika's place for the second time was much more awkward than the first. It confused Bhairav to find a new man with Anahita. His doubts vanished when Abhaiveer introduced himself as Anahita's husband. Bhairav took him to the living room, asking Ambika to get tea and snacks.

"There is no need for that." Abhay interrupted immediately, - "We are here for some serious reasons." He looked at Anahita, who was perfectly still. Almost zombie-like.

The ladies sat in Ambika's room. Her daughter played with some toys on the cot.

"You don't want juice?"

Anahita slowly shook her head. Ambika frowned, leaning towards her. She held her younger sister's chin, - "Mother and Father didn't invite me to your wedding. But I want to know, are you happy?"

Anahita exhaled and looked at her sister with tears in her eyes, - "Didi." She leaped, embracing her sister as tightly as she could. After all, to her, it was now only her sister who was left of her family.

"Mother is no more." She cried, burying her face in her sister's shoulder.

"What?" Ambika exclaimed in a small voice.

She held her hands and forcefully parted her. Pain and disbelief covered her face as she looked at Anahita.

"How?"

Anahita drew in a breath and bawled as she narrated everything. The news knocked Ambika off.

"That Leela, you sure?"

Anahita closed her eyes tightly and nodded. She told her about the poison bottle she had found in the room.

Ambika looked away, gripping her sister's shoulder tightly, - "Don't break, my sister." She spoke in a wavering tone. Anahita let out a sob and took her sister into a bone-crushing embrace once again. This time, both the sister cried.

"Stay strong! We will get her punished. God will punish her." Ambika consoled her younger sibling even though she was broken as well. Anahita closed her eyes, shutting them tightly, and felt her elder sister's fingers caress the back of her head. It was assuring and comforting. Yet nothing can get their mother back.