19 • Jealous...but not as a friend •

 "Hello!" Asif cupped his hand in Salam

"Hello!" Asif cupped his hand in Salam. Anahita straightened, lowering her legs and placing the novel next to her. She looked at the cover and quickly flipped it to the other side.

"He—Hello!" She looked up. The rays of the sun falling on their faces were making it difficult for her to look at his jovial and handsome face. Anahita had to squint her eyes and, because of his sunglasses, she couldn't make out how he was looking at her.

"What brings you here?"

Asif showed her the books he had brought, - "Excuse to meet you. These are Nausheen's books. She will continue her education after marriage."

Anahita looked away, hiding her smile with her white dupatta covered hand. Nausheen was miserable when her husband promised her father that he will not cause any trouble for her if she wants to study. In fact, he said he wanted her to study further. Nausheen was an average student and was just studying, so she won't be counted as illiterate. She wanted to get married as soon as she could and settle down to a life of comfort. She didn't even mind producing kids after kids, only if they got her out of study. Then, Shoaib's liberal thoughts bulldozed her dream of lounging around, ordering the servants, getting pedicure and manicure, attending kitty parties, romancing, traveling and baby making.

"May I sit next to you?" Asif pointed at the swing. Anahita fixed her expressions, raised her chin and shook her head.

"No! This is my house and I don't want anyone to think wrongly of us." She replied arrogantly, then pulled up her legs, stretching them on the swing.

"Laali, get Vakil Sahib a lounge chair." She called whilst looking at Asif. He sensed something was off, which it was.

"What happened? You were fine at Nausheen's wedding, but after that? You wrote to Nausheen but ignored my letters?"

"And that is why you are here?" She asked, placing her hand on the arm of the swing and clasping her palms.

"Yes!" Asif sat down on the chair at her feet and placed the books on his thigh, - "Why?"

Anahita looked away, - "Laali, get me apple juice and ask Vakil Sahib what he wants." She purposefully ignored Asif. He sat there silently. But from the corner of her eyes, she noticed him clench and unclench his jaw.