4 • Flirting •

Iravati had just relaxed with a sip of her Darjeeling tea when she was alerted by a strong floral fragrance

Iravati had just relaxed with a sip of her Darjeeling tea when she was alerted by a strong floral fragrance. Quickly, she got up and hurried to the door. She squinted her eyes noticing Anahita and Dhani walking together. Oblivious to Iravati Devi's cold stares, the two girls chatted and giggled on their way to the main door.

"Stop!"

The young ladies stopped in their tracks. Iravati swished the edge of her silk saree and walked to them. She kept a scrutinizing gaze on her. Anahita clenched her bag, darting her eyes at the polished limestone flooring. Iravati stopped a few inches away from her. Slowly, she moved her hand and held a strand of her open hair.

"Where are you going?" She observed her as she twirled the edge of her hair. Anahita gulped. She had insisted Dhani help her curl, the edges with loose curls. Inspired by Nausheen. Anahita even borrowed curlers from her. Unlike her, the former had shoulder-length hair, and her hairstyles took motivation from Hollywood actresses.

"I am going to Nausheen's home. Our next exam is mathematics and she is a little weak in it." Anahita kept her gaze steady at her mother.

Iravati hummed, feeling the material of her yellow puffed full-sleeved salwar suit. It was a happy yellow-colored suit with beautiful mirror work scattered all over the Kurtha and completed with a net dupatta that was a lighter shade of the suit. This gorgeous dress was gifted to her by her father, who had got it for her from Gujrat.

"Looks like you are going to some party."- Iravati placed a gentle hand on her shoulder,- "Saraswati Aunty, she was telling me, that your friend's elder brother has returned from London."- She thought for a moment, - "He has done law, she said."

"So?" Anahita shrugged. She observed her mother's expression and it struck her, - "Mother, please don't think I am dressing up to impress anyone. It is just that, I am Prathuman Agarwal's daughter. Who is Jaipur and Gujrat's best spice businessman. His business is blooming further everywhere in India. I have standards." She held her chin high.

Iravati raised her eyebrow and scoffed, - "Are you competing with Nausheen? You know they have more wealth than us."

Anahita nodded softly. It wasn't about richness or competition. Nausheen belonged to the family of Zamindars. Her father, Ijazul Haq Khan was also a junior minister in Delhi and her stepmother was one of the wealthiest zamindar families in Bhopal. It was just that, Anahita loved dressing up, and to avoid her mother's questioning, she kept making things up.