12 • Paro, Devdas & Cross Road •

For the first time, Anahita felt conscious of her looks when she visited the Khan Haveli

For the first time, Anahita felt conscious of her looks when she visited the Khan Haveli. No one in her family had any idea that Nausheen was out of town, and their daughter planned to meet Asif.

She was being choosiest in selecting her dress. Dhani was surprised when she chose to wear silk brown Kurtha, which hung loosely over her frame and had embroidery in golden threads on the bust area as well over the neckline. Anahita mostly always wears cotton and reserved silks for special occasions.

Anahita wore the most expensive perfume in her collection, again a rarity that caught Dhani's attention. Silver ethnic medium-sized studs, a daily wear neckpiece, anklets, and matching jhuti.

"Anything special, Annie?" Dhani asked as she tied her hair in half braid and then combed the open half.

Anahita giggled, - "If everything goes smoothly, you will understand."

Perhaps it was a conscious decision to be her best today as she will be meeting, her sister, Ambika's in-laws for the first time. But there was a subconscious reason as well.

Since she visited a new place, Anahita wanted a company. So, she requested Asif for help and he agreed; instantly. The driver drove her to the Khan's place and from there, the two sneaked out through the back gate. Anahita enjoyed the tanga ride even more. And every time there it went unsteadily, she bumped into Asif. And when their gaze met, they would chuckle. Though, she couldn't make out his eyes as it was shielded by sunglasses.

The tanga halted at a small society. Asif helped Anahita climb down. She stepped down, facing medium-sized houses that seemed like built in the 1900s. The adobes are mostly painted in shades of pink.

Asif kept inquiring as the two walked through the rugged pavement. Anahita couldn't take her eyes off some houses that had their roofs falling apart. Finally, they found a dodgy bungalow painted a light pink, classic Jaipur. The wall seemed to be painted eons ago, as pieces hung loose and faded in some places.

The metal door was about the same height as Asif, six feet some inches. It had a small bell next to it.

The scorching summer's sun added to her misery, making her regret choosing silk. So she took her motivation from the man next to her. Anahita wanted to award Asif with a medal for wearing a coat, and three-piece suit under Jaipur's afternoon sun.