54 • Phir Le Aaya •

❝Phir le aaya dil majboor kya keeje

Phir le aaya dil majboor kya keeje

Raas na aaya rehna door kya keeje

Dil keh raha use maqammal kar bhi aao

Wo jo adhoori si baat baaki hai

Wo jo adhoori si yaad baaki hai

-Barfi

They were welcomed into the living room, a large hall with British interiors

They were welcomed into the living room, a large hall with British interiors. Anahita wondered why British? Was their Badi Ammi secretly competing with their mother? Or did she want her daughters to experience the feeling of being British? Maybe she wanted the Khan siblings to feel their mother's presence whenever they visited her? That is why, perhaps, Asif liked it here.

Servants got sherbets and snacks for them. Abhaiveer politely declined, but Shoaib was persuasive. Nausheen was outraged to learn that they were staying in a hotel, and insisted they stay here in the guest quarters.

"We will arrange separate cook and utensils for the guest kitchen." She added with a tone of finality.

Anahita refused out straight and even Abhaiveer thought it would be trouble for three-four days.

A middle-aged woman walked in with two girls on either side of her. Anahita got up and joined her palms together. Badi Ammi acknowledged her. Abhaiveer stood up too. Before she sat on the wing chair, Anahita touched her feet.

"God bless you. Grant you happy married life and may you always wear red." She patted her head. Anahita smiled humbly and sat down along with Abhaiveer.

It was awkward. Did Badi Ammi know about her past? From her warm smile and gentle words, it didn't seem so. Anahita relaxed in her seat. Abhaiveer impressed Badi Ammi.

"Please dear, you are like Shoaib to us. Our damad and we can't let sons-in-law get upset. As we are from the girls' side, we have to be humble."

Anahita glanced at her husband from the corner of her eyes. She knew if this was Bombay or Jaipur, he could have lectured about this thinking being wrong and all, but out of courtesy, here he was quiet.